Quantcast
spaghetti squash - what knife to cut it in half?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spaghetti squash - what knife to cut it in half?

spaghetti squash - what knife to cut it in half?

So I eat a spaghetti squash once a week, I have...had a old knife I used to muscle it open, but it broke. It was a j henkel $30 knife so no biggie. That said I don't want to spend a ton of money, but what would you use to get it open without too much effort.

if you want something that's tough, cheap and new. old hickory butcher's knife, they sell 7, 10 and 14" ones on amazon.

A thinner knife would be best.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

i guess a chinese cleaver would be the best for that, at least thats what i think and use.

Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    i guess a chinese cleaver would be the best for that, at least thats what i think and use.
    Which cleaver would u get?

i have an ashi hamono in white #2 and a small maestro wu d11. really like the steel of the d11 but as a professional 18 cm is a bit short, so im about to sell it soon. have one of those rader cleavers from ebay on the way now and am thinking of rehandling it. in general id suggest one of those dick/forschner/victorinox cleavers, they arent bad for the money.

I think a CCK 1303 would work well. Very thin.

I use a cheap stainless (I've had the knife longer than any other, 25 plus years.) Essentialy I use it as a wedge. Sink the tip into the middle of the squash all the way to the board (Lengthwise) then push down on the heel to split it. Turn it around and do the other side. No fingers anywhere close to getting lobbed off.