spaghetti squash - what knife to cut it in half?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meals

Reaction score
So I eat a spaghetti squash once a week, I have...had a old knife I used to muscle it open, but it broke. It was a j henkel $30 knife so no biggie. That said I don't want to spend a ton of money, but what would you use to get it open without too much effort.

if you want something that's tough, cheap and new. old hickory butcher's knife, they sell 7, 10 and 14" ones on amazon.

i guess a chinese cleaver would be the best for that, at least thats what i think and use.

i have an ashi hamono in white #2 and a small maestro wu d11. really like the steel of the d11 but as a professional 18 cm is a bit short, so im about to sell it soon. have one of those rader cleavers from ebay on the way now and am thinking of rehandling it. in general id suggest one of those dick/forschner/victorinox cleavers, they arent bad for the money.

I use a cheap stainless (I've had the knife longer than any other, 25 plus years.) Essentialy I use it as a wedge. Sink the tip into the middle of the squash all the way to the board (Lengthwise) then push down on the heel to split it. Turn it around and do the other side. No fingers anywhere close to getting lobbed off.

I use a cheap stainless (I've had the knife longer than any other, 25 plus years.) Essentialy I use it as a wedge. Sink the tip into the middle of the squash all the way to the board (Lengthwise) then push down on the heel to split it. Turn it around and do the other side. No fingers anywhere close to getting lobbed off.

That, plus put a towel under the squash so it doesn't roll on you.

-Michael

i use a cheap cleaver. i also tap it thru with an old rolling pin thing. i slice a tiny flat side on the cutting board side for stability.

i use a rubber mallet on cheap knives or cleavers when i need to whack on something

Wouldn't sometime like a Tojiro western Deba work well? If you want something really cheap: a Kom Kom from Kiwi?? (Kom Kom is the slightly upscale brand from Kiwi...)

Well I've used the towel, cheap knifes ect. I don't have a cleaver, but hey I'm always in to buy another knife. I eat them a lot, might as well get something that will cut it like butter. Help me spend some money lol

I am really not a fan of caborn knifes, just don't want the upkeep. How about something in the 30 80 range?

Taking a long knife such as a chef means you are cutting the entire squash in one cut. My approach to tough squash is to use a short strong knife and work around the cut line. This is a much safer approach.

I have an ancient 10" Dexter-Russell in 1095 that laughs at squash. Which makes me wonder why I have expensive knives at all.

When one cut is needed then I break out one of these :) Really though of all the cleavers I have a Briddell 8" that I reprofiled with a 40 degree (inclusive) edge works great for work such as squash, bones, etc.

100_0291.jpg

I keep a 10" Messermeister chef's knife in my kit for tasks such as this.

machete, works great, cheap and an excellent zombie head chopper offer.

outdoorsy people actually find that the old hickory butcher's knife work pretty well as a machete as well

=D

Back