Quantcast
Rehandling a Masamoto KS?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rehandling a Masamoto KS?

Rehandling a Masamoto KS?

Anyone here have first hand experience? How hard are the handles to remove?

I like the blade, but I'm hating the handle, waaayyyy too small for my hands and I'm not a fan of how long the machi is either, don't know if I could just move a new handle further up?

Alternatively, if any of the Australian contingent know someone reliable to do the work, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Josh

Head to see Leigh at Chef's armoury. He's got heaps of nice handles, at least at the Sydney store. A lot of his handles are Australian wood, but made in Japan via export and re-import.

Ahh, cool. I'll go check them out tomorrow, got a voucher for sharpening service I was given a while back, maybe I'll see what they're like too.

Cheers for the heads up.

Josh

The handle on the one I did came off very easy, couple taps with a piece of wood and it came right off with no damage to the handle.

I had mine done somewhat recently by Jon at JKI. He might be able to chime in.

Take a piece of wood longer and about as wide as the blade. Lay it flat on the blade and hold in one hand but not too tightly then hit the wood firmly with a mallet-should come off easily unless it has been epoxied on.Glad someone else doesnt like the exposed Machi.I have rehandled a couple of knives because this irritates me.

Funny, the long, slender machi adds a little sleek and sexy I think...

I've seen a pic of someones recently that doesn't have the same narrow, long machi...wonder if they've changed it?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread