Quantcast
Shaving Brushes: What's your favorite?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving Brushes: What's your favorite?

Shaving Brushes: What's your favorite?

Lefty, of Sharp and Shiny, has been educating me in the shaving brush market. I had no idea there were so many brands and so many shapes and so many sizes and..... well you get the picture. So the more I learn (and Lefty's an encyclopedia) the more choices come into consideration and it's getting a bit confusing. So I thought - let's get KKF's thoughts
    I'm a face latherer using a cake of soap.

What brush do you use? Are you a face or bowl lather? Why do you like yours? Opinions and recommendations are welcome. Thanks.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

I tried to fix a typo and duplicated the post. Let's go with this one please.

Hi. i face lather just like you so i would recomend a 2-band 50mm loft or a 3-band extra stuffed silvertip with a 46 to 48mm loft. key for a good face lather brush is soft tips and a ferm backbone.
    i can tell you a few brands i know and own.

first one i wanna recomend is New Forest. the founder of this brand (Phil) is a great guy that has put up a line of brushes that is outstanding value for the money. thay cost half or even less then half of what a known big maker cost but performs just as good.
    i own 3 of his brushes and love them very much! i recomend getting "Tubby 1 or Tubby 2" great brushes. very good backbone in them. he sells them via his blog so just google him.

next maker is Rod Neep. also outstanding hand lathed brushes. i recomend his 3-band Extra Silvertip knot. i would recomend a deeper mount on it around 47mm for a real good face lathering brush. i just spoke with him and he told me his latest batch of extra silvertipknots are superb. google rod neep pen and brush maker.

Simpson. the bigger models cost money but are top notch. chubby 2 2-band etc.

M&F (morris & forndran) good maker but price is higher like with simpson. no website you haf to mail him. he makes a model calld xl2 i like.

cheers
    Magnus

I knew you guys would have a lot of recommendations. Of course, they will make my choosing even more difficult, but the journey is sometimes more important than the destination. Thanks for the input Magnus.

do you want to spend 70$ or 400$ on a brush is the question.

get yourself a New Forest Tubby 1. thay cost 43 pund shipped. I think its a perfect brush.

http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.se/...t-tubby-1.html

I didn't want to limit this tread by putting in any price barriers. Just interested in getting some thoughts on the subject. Even if I can't afford it I can still admire it and learn what makes it special. Thanks again.

I like the silver tip badgers best.
    The type of lathering will determine the size of the brush, then if you are using soap or cream also will add to the equation.
    How long a handle you like is another variable, shape as well.
    For real deep info on brushes from guys that have tried tons of them, go to SRP or Badger and Blade.

Since you are in NYC you can always stop by a couple of the shops that are located in the Wetshavers bermuda triangle- where your money disappears without a trace.

Cambridge chemists and Pasteur Pharmacy are two.

As Magnus mentioned Rod neep is a fine craftsman and does really nice work. Another is Rudy Vey, he has access to the Shavemac Knots and can create a custom brush to your specs ( hmmm...burl?)

At the end of the day the brushes job is to pick up product, soap or cream, and create an emulsion with water, the art of the brush though, is all about the pleasure of the aesthetics.

There are as many choices in brushes as there are knives, for a very detailed look you can always stop by the B&B brush forum and see what the boys are up to.

Here are a couple of my favorites-

Sterling silver Chubby 1 from 1962

Modern chubby 1

From our charity auction last year- a Bob Favour

Rudy Vey Keyhole with Shavemac DO1 knot

Thanks Jim, nice collection you have there. I have surfed the B&B forum and there is certainly a lot on info and opinions in there, almost too much. That Bermuda triangle, as you so eloquently put it, is about a mile from me so I'll get over at some point.

Uh oh...I now fear for you and everyone who reads this. I'm more addicted to brushes than I am razors. Aside from all of the fun stuff you and I have discussed (Magnus and Jim have also hit on it), there are two things I just realized I haven't mentioned to you:

Number one - I use a Rudy Vey as one of my main brushes.

For me, the magic knot is best badger (two band), set at 2.4 times the diameter. Ie. 20mm diameter, with a 48mm loft. For a face-latherer, of soaps, this is fantastic. I wil throw in a caveat, however, since it might be just too short for many people. I easily get three passes out of my Simpson Wee Scot (it looks like a thimble with a tuft of hair on it ), and 4 passes worth of lather out of the brush Rudy and I came up with (18mm x 43mm). Which leads to...

Number Two - Bigger is not always better, in this case, and especially when you like an accurate brush and wasting less product...which I do.

I'd like to put out a little challenge for the bowl-latherers out there: try face lathering (if you have a big brush, shorten the knot by pinching it between your thumb and forefinger). Do this for three consecutive shaves and see if you don't start to notice less ingrowns, better skin and that you don't need your 28mm x 60mm Silvertip anymore.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread