• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Aritsugu Kiritsuke 270MM for sale (another one :) -- Needs Repair --

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andygraybeal

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I also have an Aritsugu Kiritsuke 270mm for sale. Mine though has some setbacks. When I purchased it I didn't know enough and I should have sent it back but I didn't.

Problem 1: the edge path is supposed to be more or less flat up until the tip but with mine it isn't flat, but concave ... meaning you cut a lot of accordian style veggies :(

Problem 2: the blade is bent.. like a very small arc from the heel (chin) of the blade to the tip as the blade lays flat on it's backside (flat side)

I let Dave Martell work his magic but he gave it back at no charge saying that he couldn't do much. I was hoping one day that I could be skilled enough to fix this knife but I am in need of money and my skills aren't very good yet. He did sharpen it and I haven't used it much since then because it is frustrating and makes me feel disgraceful.

It has been sitting in a drawer in it's sheath for years now and it had developed light rust, I just cleaned it up a bit with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper.

I bought it from Aframes Tokyo and wish I had the where-with-all to send it back to them. I think I spent around $400. Here is the link on his website for this knife: http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/aritsugu-kiritsuke-knife-1034inch-bla.html

The handle is big which I enjoy and the blade is hefty which I also enjoy. I think i would enjoy this knife if I could repair it.

I've never shipped a knife so I could use some pointers and I don't know what CONUS is.

Okay here are the pictures:
IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0166.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0173.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

IMG_0184.JPG

Oh, I don't know what price to sell it for... maybe I could get some guidance ? I saw that the last one was $230 .. and I guess I couldn't expect to get that much... but damn :(

Could you post a spine shot to demonstrate the bend? The edge is easily fixable but the bend may or may not be

Could you post a spine shot to demonstrate the bend? The edge is easily fixable but the bend may or may not be

I don't see the problem from the spine, but at the edge. I have to run now but I will be back with both spine and what the edge bend looks like. It's very slight but.. to me, personally, it's impossible to deal with when cutting. anyway, i have to run but i'll be back later this evening.

Yeah I think if the blade is bent then it is possible to straighten it. In the same time I am affraid that if Dave Martell said he cannot fix it, then the problem might be a warp - when the spine turns outwards while edge inwards for example.
Then its a different story.
Cant believe this is an Aritsugu... Can you post pics of the spine too?

I am very stressed now to have an kiritsuke so I can taake it, if you decide to sell it - I will PM you

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0203.JPG

The spine looks fine, but I cannot tell. The edge is what has my panties in a bunch. Look .. I'm holding the chin against the table.. and it slowly arcs upward ... and slowly comes back down to the tip. i'm not pivoting the knife on anything to get it to do this.

If you have a better idea of the pictures you want to see let me know by example.. I don't feel like I know what to look for these kind of problems.

thx, andy

Yeah. SO you can see here that the spine is flat but the edge is traveling upwards, which basically means the blade is a little twisted.

The middle part of the blade will always see more abrasion on the stones cause its bent outwards, if the heel and tip would be sticking out, you would be removing more there. if you can imagine this.

I was just fighting this in an usuba and I managed to straighten the edge but by the cost of bending the spine... The knife is not flat which drives me crazy but I dont have the skill to fix twisting.

I guess you could to the same, try to bend it so the edge is straight. But then the spine will most propably get curved.

I've fixed a bend towards the front by gently hammering the jigane until it straightens. Not advising that, but it can be done.

Might also check with Jon Broida of JapaneseKnifeImports...he's on the forums here, and is many flavors of guru with these tools.

Back