Quantcast
Enamel Dutch Oven - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enamel Dutch Oven

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Right, I think it's rated 425/450F.

Stainless looks nicer too.
    I didn't know it was rated that high, but I still would have replaced it so as to not worry about it.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

All I can add is get out of the habit of tapping your spoons and tongs on the edge to clean them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    All I can add is get out of the habit of tapping your spoons and tongs on the edge to clean them off.
    good tip.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Jim,

I strongly suggest this book: http://www.amazon.com/All-About-Brai.../dp/0393052303

It gives a lot of good info on the science behind braising, dos and donts, general recipe composition, and several very good/great recipes.
    I've had the pleasure of working with Molly Stevens on a couple occasions. IMHO, her braising book is the gold standard where braising is concerned.

wooden spoons seem to be ok...but definitely nothing hard. I've read that the Le Crueset have a clearcoat of enamel on the rim between the two enamel coats on the inside/outside and that it can be easily damaged...but I can't confirm either from the 4 pieces I've been using for the last 5 years. YMMV though.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I've had the pleasure of working with Molly Stevens on a couple occasions. IMHO, her braising book is the gold standard where braising is concerned.
    I'm doing the braised oxtail from her book later this week. I also love her roasting book.

k.

For what it's worth, fine steel wool (0000,000) will clean burnt-on food from a Le Creuset without scratching the finish. Brillo pads work too, but generic steel wool is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    wooden spoons seem to be ok...but definitely nothing hard.
    There's the rub see? I'm a creature of habit and don't differentiate between wood and metal when I'm rockin' out so I've had to get out of that habit altogether when using my enamel dutch ovens.

There's the rub see? I'm a creature of habit and don't differentiate between wood and metal when I'm rockin' out so I've had to get out of that habit altogether when using my enamel dutch ovens.
    I only keep non-stick safe stuff in my kitchen...everything else is for the grill. Even my kitchen tongs have silicon grips. For the exact reasons you mentioned, I'll get in a hurry and grab the wrong thing.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

i've tapped various tools on the edge of my le cru. wooden spoons mostly, but the occasional metal tool. i cant tell if i have done any damage. i figure the edge will get "seasoned" anyways. if this beast cant handle a metal tool scraping, i dont want it...it is surviving the hell i put it thru so far. looks like krap..but still works great.

i'll replace it one day with a new shiny one and relegate the old one for bread and deep fry duties..one day.

+ Reply to Thread