Enamel Dutch Oven

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMJones

Reaction score
My wife just picked up an enameled Dutch Oven. Anyone have any recipes tips, ect?

We use ours a lot for braises, spaghetti sauce, soups, etc. Give osso buco a try (and make an even better and less expensive version by substituting lamb shanks for veal shanks). it's a great vessel for carmelizing onions for onion soups.

As far as tips go, you generally only need to keep the heat on the low side. Since cast iron tends to heat slowly, people tend to crank up the heat and wind up burning things once the cast iron catches up. Had a relative wreck a Le Creuset a few years back when the beans weren't heating quickly enough so she cranked it up

don't put it in the dishwasher, it dulls the gloss on the enamel...won't hurt it, just won't be as pretty.

I love using mine for rice casserole-type dishes, stews, chili, and deep frying.

an enamel cast iron dutch oven's strength is not found on a range top (unless it is your deepfryer) ..it really shines in the oven!!

i do all the searing on the cooktop, and brown everything. then i get it all simmering and will put the big pot in a 300-325 degree oven to finish all the cooking. heat coming at your food from all sides will prevent burn spots on the bottom. i gave away all my slow cookers when i started cooking this way. stews, bucco's, beans..everything goes into the oven. no stirring, no fussing..done. there is no better kitchen excitement than when you crack open a slow cooked meal in your dutch oven. the slow bubbling, the house full of good smells, the darkened food splatter on the lid..yum.

Just remember that cast iron is brittle. It will shatter like glass if it hits a terrrazzo floor. :sad0:

I have a le creuset and really like it, but I like it even better now that I have have started using my copper heat diffuser with it. I'd also recommend getting a heat-proof replacement knob for the cover if it isn't already oven-ready.

k.

the regular black knob is heat proof.

the stainless one is more heat proof. i switched because i took mine to 500 deg when i was using it to make bread.

500 would wipe out the black knob. braising, no problems.

Yes... I switched mine too so it could withstand higher temperatures...

I believe one of their new lines has a higher clearance SS knob from the factory... :happymug:

the regular black knob is heat proof.

the stainless one is more heat proof. i switched because i took mine to 500 deg when i was using it to make bread.

500 would wipe out the black knob. braising, no problems.

Right, I think it's rated 425/450F.

Stainless looks nicer too.

All I can add is get out of the habit of tapping your spoons and tongs on the edge to clean them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can add is get out of the habit of tapping your spoons and tongs on the edge to clean them off.

wooden spoons seem to be ok...but definitely nothing hard. I've read that the Le Crueset have a clearcoat of enamel on the rim between the two enamel coats on the inside/outside and that it can be easily damaged...but I can't confirm either from the 4 pieces I've been using for the last 5 years. YMMV though.

For what it's worth, fine steel wool (0000,000) will clean burnt-on food from a Le Creuset without scratching the finish. Brillo pads work too, but generic steel wool is cheaper.

wooden spoons seem to be ok...but definitely nothing hard.

There's the rub see? I'm a creature of habit and don't differentiate between wood and metal when I'm rockin' out so I've had to get out of that habit altogether when using my enamel dutch ovens.

There's the rub see? I'm a creature of habit and don't differentiate between wood and metal when I'm rockin' out so I've had to get out of that habit altogether when using my enamel dutch ovens.

I only keep non-stick safe stuff in my kitchen...everything else is for the grill. Even my kitchen tongs have silicon grips. For the exact reasons you mentioned, I'll get in a hurry and grab the wrong thing.

i've tapped various tools on the edge of my le cru. wooden spoons mostly, but the occasional metal tool. i cant tell if i have done any damage. i figure the edge will get "seasoned" anyways. if this beast cant handle a metal tool scraping, i dont want it...it is surviving the hell i put it thru so far. looks like krap..but still works great.

i'll replace it one day with a new shiny one and relegate the old one for bread and deep fry duties..one day.

Latest posts

Back