New and I would love some advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drkmacleod

Reaction score
Hello all I am new to the knife world as I stated before. I am currently in culinary school, and I just got a job at at fine dining restaurant in downton Charleston,SC. The knives have now are Mercer. I am looking to get a good Chef Knife in the 550 dollar or less range. I need something that I can use on plastic cutting boards because that is what we have at work and at school. Any help is welcomed. Thank in advance!!! Oh yea I would like something around the 8in range.

haha okay thanks for the advice! I really dont want to spend that but I just wanted to put a top end on price.

The best investment you can make first is in a sharpening set up. You can spend a lot of money on a knife but whats the use if it's noticably dull after a couple of shifts. You can buy a great knife for a little more than $100 and be able to keep it sharp.

Stainless or carbon? Do you have stones to sharpen with? Di you like western or Japanese handles? Custom makers have best edge retention that I know of Mario and Marko. Regular knives misono is great all around knife with good retention.

I'd second not spending that much on your first knife. I'd say go 250-300 and get a decent stone or two. Jon at Japanese knife imports is a great vendor to work with top notch service!

Okay good idea on the stones i will get those on the way. Any recommendations on where to get them. I like the Japanese handles better. I will also check out the brands I have heard so far. Thanks for the quick replies!!

You will need stones as well as a knife, but fortunately both can be had for well under your budget.
For the knife, this Yoshi looks like a good deal: http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.yahoo.net/yoshikane-wa-gyuto-240mm-sld-sanmai-uchi-blade-kn240.html

For stones, on a budget I think the Beston 500, King 1200 and the Arishayama 6k would fit well. From memory these can be bought for around $100-$150 for all of them. Check metalmaster-ww.com.

In my opinion, it's not a good idea to really splash out on your first good knife. You wont really be able to understand and appreciate it. The yoshi is very nice, but it won't break the bank, and you have other knives to look forward to in the future. If you are able to sharpen well and understand geometry, then I'm sure the Yoshi can be made to perform as well as much more expensive knives with thinning in the right places. For a start its best to build your skills rather than assuming the 'best' knives will give you the best results. Also no-one here will look down on the Yoshi, so don't think you're getting something second rate.

Of course there are many other knives and stone combinations which fit this pricing I have suggested, so look around, but remember that $$$ ≠ performance.

EDIT: Oh and don't forget something like an Atoma 140 for stone maintenance!

A. Don't spend 550 on your first knife.

2. Don't bring that knife to school unless you want to just give it away.

#. Get a 240mm Gesshin Uraku gyuto and some stones.

I'd recommend gesshin stones, 1/6k combo would work great really great stones from Jon, honestly wish I would have went with then to start.

Thanks to everyone who replied i am now in the process of determining what stones and knife to buy I will keep you updated. Also please keep all suggestions coming

Call Jon. He has the experience in the kitchen and will steer you in the right direction without up selling you.

A. Don't spend 550 on your first knife.

2. Don't bring that knife to school unless you want to just give it away.

#. Get a 240mm Gesshin Uraku gyuto and some stones.

+3 The Gesshin Uraku 240mm is a choice starter blade for the workforce,tall at the heel,good steel,sharpens easy holds a edge.Even comes wt. a saya.

You don't want a real expensive fancy blade to take to school.You want a workhorse blade,that's the Uraku.

Mercer seems to sell alot of knife kits to culinary schools even here in Hawaii,these are the lower end Mercers,don't care for the steel at all,Victorinox fibrox steel is better at similar price.

You don't need alot of stones either,a good medium stone wt. freehand skill goes a long way.Call Jon at japaneseknifeimports,he also has a knifesharpening playlist free online that will with practice turn you into a freehand sharpener on whetstones.You will also need a diamond plate

So i ended up going with the Gesshin Uraku 240mm Stainless Wa-Gyuto and a King 1000 stone thank you all for the advice!!!!

Good choice the handle & saya wt. the Uraku are very light in color.I used a Tung oil mixture on both.About five coats one coat a day rub into the wood wt. soft cloth like an old T-Shirt.Then one day after final coat buff it.It will help waterproof the wood & make it look better.

Welcome!
You have found the right place and look like you've made some excellent purchases thus far.
Where are you working in Charleston? I'm there pretty often and love it. I want to move there so bad, but life has decided to deal me & my family a different hand for now.
Congrats on the purchases.

Good choice the handle & saya wt. the Uraku are very light in color.I used a Tung oil mixture on both.About five coats one coat a day rub into the wood wt. soft cloth like an old T-Shirt.Then one day after final coat buff it.It will help waterproof the wood & make it look better.
Can you please explain what the mixture is. I want to do everything I can to take care of it

Welcome!
You have found the right place and look like you've made some excellent purchases thus far.
Where are you working in Charleston? I'm there pretty often and love it. I want to move there so bad, but life has decided to deal me & my family a different hand for now.
Congrats on the purchases.
PM sent

Back