Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: $11 for a SS 8" Ksab chef's knife

Wow - sorry to hear you guys got hosed by RR. I would not blame Amazon they play host to a lot of great vendors. I just had a great experience through Rakuten though.

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    Apparently River Road has the ability to remove negative reviews -- not sure how that's done, but several that were there on April 17th, including mine, and now go.

Moreover, I have to wonder if the plethora of 5-star reviews for RR are largely phony -- I've never seen a seller get such a high percentage of "perfect" ratings from customers.
    That is more than likely because it was an error by Amazon. I don't think the good reviews for RR are phony. I think the retailer does a good job at locating close out and wholesale products at very good prices and takes advantage of Amazon's near perfect logistics to deliver a very positive customer experience to price sensitive individuals.

There are two types of vendors on Amazon, those which use the site simply as a retail outlet and billing system, and those who additionally warehouse and ship their goods through Amazon. RR is the latter. The vendor sets their own pricing, and given that it was $11, I'd say that RR knew full well he was selling the cheap chinese knives and he priced them accordingly. Amazon is responsible for listing, billing, picking, packing, and shipping items for those vendors. They made the listing mistake, so they will incur the cost to rectify the issue and they will protect damage to RRs reputation for the issue. It's a minor inconvenience to those of us who purchased the knife (2 for me), but all-in-all they did right by us, IMO.

Turns out the deal was too good to be true.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    there is an old saying, If It Sounds Too Good to Be True, It Always Is..... lesson learned guys?
    Well, not necessarily. It could have been a misprint.

I own a Kitchenaid Professional 600 Stand Mixer that I got new for a final cost of $49.99. Macy's had an ad in the L.A. Times for several Kitchenaid mixers, including the 600 for $99.99. I jokingly showed it to my wife, who said, "LET'S GO!" Despite my protests that they would never honor the price, which was an obvious misprint, we were at Macy's when they opened, ran to the kitchen department, grabbed a brand new 600 mixer, and took it to the checkout stand. The clerk rang it up and said it was on sale and that the sale price was $399.99 plus tax. I said, "No, it's on sale for $99.99," and handed her the ad. She called her supervisor, who looked at the ad, called someone else, shrugged her shoulders, and told the clerk to give it to me for the advertised price. Then the clerk said, "BTW, there's a 'Friends and Family' discount of 10% and a rebate of $50." "How nice -- give me the forms," I said. We walked out with the brand new new mixer; the out-the-door price with tax was $99.99, I got a $50 rebate in the mail on top of that, and I was able to register it at Kitchenaid. I posted a message about the deal on a couple to cooking BBs, but others told me that by the time they arrived, Macy's had signs posted throughout the store saying that the ad was a misprint and they would not honor it. Too bad -- I've been making cookies and cakes with it ever since.

Bottom line: it never hurts to try.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

I finally decided to open the package. Wowee, it's not good. I wonder if they even have quality control.

Well, Amazon let me keep it even with the refund. What should I do with it?

drill holes in it and make a cheese knife.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    drill holes in it and make a cheese knife.
    Not a bad idea, I too have been trying to think of something to do to this thing.

I'm gonna take mine to work and leave it in my drawer for those days that I need to cut open boxes or cut sandwiches in half.

Yeah I'll just leave it alone. I don't want to shorten the lives of my drill bits for one.

I'll use it on days when I need to break a coconut or lobster.

at least it was free...and it got me free shipping on my victorinox boning knife i bought with it.

I'll give it to my mother...she will enjoy it.

ERC, I love my Forschner boner, hope you enjoy yours.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right