Quantcast
Got "THE" E-mail from Mr "R" - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got "THE" E-mail from Mr "R"

Found some more information, appantly theres been some confusion, specially on e-bay of what constitutes a lagal item... I think this is an interesting topic and am still doing the research.....

Raw materials such as fossil walrus ivory, fossil walrus bones, fossil seal bones, fossil polar bear teeth, etc. are ALL legal for sale in the United States of America. Although im still not clear if this statement applies only to items from St. Laurence island.

Marine mammals that died before 1972 do not fall into the same protected status, and Non-Alaska Natives may use, sell and possess marine mammal parts that meet the standard of Pre-1972. There are of course other caveats to this seemingly simple statement. Any qualifying marine mammal part or product from that time, MUST have been in private possession PRIOR to 1972.

Many people have items they either personally obtained prior to 1972, or received from a friend, relative, purchased from someone who had legal possession etc. Estate sales are a source of "Pre-Act" items. There is no differentiation between "raw material" and Alaska Native handicraft" in "Pre-Act" marine mammal products as far as Federal law is concerned.

Interesting information regarding international shipping of marine mammal.

It is also very important to know that marine mammal products also have clear laws regarding shipping out of the U.S. Many sellers are confused about this, and offer worldwide shipping. Buyers beware, there is NO INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION WHAT-SO-EVER of whale products. Walrus products MUST HAVE A United States C.I.T.E.S. Permit to be shipped out of the U.S. legally, and many countries require their own C.I.T.E.S. permit for entry. Any item caught leaving the U.S. without an accompanying C.I.T.E.S. permit is subject to confiscation, and the sender a possible fine or jail sentence.
    Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

I like the profile,even without your request, his standard gyuto profiles seem to have naturally become flatter, less tall and have a lower tip.

I got another e-mail with another update... Its looking soo cool I'm having a hard time keeping it together

Can you see the darker ivory cap over the lighter ivory handle?

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1eef21e8.jpg

I actually asked him please 3 times to finish it quickly because there was risk of me imploding.....

Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

I agree Kalaeb... His designs has been evolving, flatter profiles, lower tips and improved release of stiction prone foods. I want to think that some point our requests probably are taken into consideration for the overall profile.

Not sure that he has lowered the height overall, some do seem lower thats for sure.

And I see some of the bolsters and therefore the handle a bit flatter as well, It might be my imagination.

He also varies his designs ever so lightly, no two knives are really the same. I think this is good, every knife is unique! The true mark of a craftsman!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    I got another e-mail with another update... Its looking soo cool I'm having a hard time keeping it together

Can you see the darker ivory cap over the lighter ivory handle?
    No -Can't see any pictures at all. Just see annoying blue links everywhere that are presented as pictures.

Best,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Found some more information, appantly theres been some confusion, specially on e-bay of what constitutes a lagal item... I think this is an interesting topic and am still doing the research.....

Raw materials such as fossil walrus ivory, fossil walrus bones, fossil seal bones, fossil polar bear teeth, etc. are ALL legal for sale in the United States of America. Although im still not clear if this statement applies only to items from St. Laurence island.

Marine mammals that died before 1972 do not fall into the same protected status, and Non-Alaska Natives may use, sell and possess marine mammal parts that meet the standard of Pre-1972. There are of course other caveats to this seemingly simple statement. Any qualifying marine mammal part or product from that time, MUST have been in private possession PRIOR to 1972.

Many people have items they either personally obtained prior to 1972, or received from a friend, relative, purchased from someone who had legal possession etc. Estate sales are a source of "Pre-Act" items. There is no differentiation between "raw material" and Alaska Native handicraft" in "Pre-Act" marine mammal products as far as Federal law is concerned.

Interesting information regarding international shipping of marine mammal.

It is also very important to know that marine mammal products also have clear laws regarding shipping out of the U.S. Many sellers are confused about this, and offer worldwide shipping. Buyers beware, there is NO INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION WHAT-SO-EVER of whale products. Walrus products MUST HAVE A United States C.I.T.E.S. Permit to be shipped out of the U.S. legally, and many countries require their own C.I.T.E.S. permit for entry. Any item caught leaving the U.S. without an accompanying C.I.T.E.S. permit is subject to confiscation, and the sender a possible fine or jail sentence.
    Well, there goes my dreams of a narwhal horn suji

Chris

Thanks for the info on the ivory.
    Never had anything other than razors with ivory, but the way they feel warm and clingy to the skin at room temp is something to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkbite111 View Post
    Well, there goes my dreams of a narwhal horn suji
    I never even knew such beautiful creature existed. Unicorns of the sea!
    At least you can still hope to get one with a million year old mammoth tusk.

I think Pierre and Son are to blame for the mammoth tooth popularity. Wait, I mean thank them....

The handle's looking great, Customfan!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

From customfan's photo's

[IMG][/IMG]

My god this is amazing.