Quantcast
Got "THE" E-mail from Mr "R"
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got "THE" E-mail from Mr "R"

Got "THE" E-mail from Mr "R"

Got the awaited e-mail from Michael Rader and have been on cloud nine since! Ive been on his list and was saving and making room for a while.

I've been having a ball and I thought I'd share a the process... after long deliveration I decided to go for a 240mm Western Integral gyuto (surprise, right?)

I went W2 Steel since Ive had some very nice experience recently with retention, toughness and sharpening. And got to love that dramatic hammon!

I also asked him to do a flatter profile and here are the pictures of the blade before HT

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/...pse4b2c1a5.jpg

Here is where it gets interesting!

Funny story, I was completely fine with having it made in his traditional wood handle but on saturday I had this dream! I dreamt of this beautiful Rader knife with the perfect western handle...... the handle seemed like of wood it was all IVORY.. you know? And instead of it being all white, It had a cap of another color. Maybe even a large matching spacer, don't remember well.

Anyway... I contacted Michael this morning and asked him if it was possible and he obliged.. so it sounds like it might be an interesting handle for sure!

what do you think?

Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

That sounds really, really cool. The thing about the ivory handles I've seen, is that they are maybe almost a little plain next to his wood ones, which are such masterpieces. You'll have the BEST of all worlds.

My same thoughts exactly! Still a little nervous though...

Im thinking there should be less movement (Shrinkage) since its the same material.
    Eat to live? -> live to eat... but as long as we are at it... eat very, very well!

ha!ha! LoL.....I'm totally opposite, Micheal offer me a beautiful piece of ivory that is actually coffee colored; but, I decide go with wood handle....because i had few knives with ivory handle and found the ivory handle is very slippery when is wet & ivory also crack at front/rear end in very dry humidity condition!! if you like the ivory handle you can asking Micheal about this coffee colored fossilized walrus ivory he has!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I did see it and its beautiful, but its thinner and was basically for a D-shaped-Wa I think.

I like his Western handles more, I think this will be an interesting variation, I do agree with the slipperiness, I guess Ill have to wear gloves when carving that 250 pound hog! he, he, he!

Can still change my mind but I have never seen one of his knives with this configuration.

Are you getting a gyuto as well?

Awesome! Congrats. Michael awesome, his work blows my mind and I agree - his Westerns are unreal!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Customfan View Post
    Are you getting a gyuto as well?
    yes, 52100 240mm Integral wa-gyuto! I'm not a big fan of western handle; however, Rader's western handle is exception!! I decide go for wa- handle because 95% of Rader kitchen knives are western handle...I want something different than others!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Well played Custom Fan!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

I got to admit Pete that If you hadn't gone first, I would have not had the idea. So... thank you!

Well... Let's see how it comes out... Im kind of hoping he puts some copper liners, then a darker spacer, then a light main then a darker cap (same color as the spacer) but it might just be the darker cap...

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    yes, 52100 240mm Integral wa-gyuto! I'm not a big fan of western handle; however, Rader's western handle is exception!! I decide go for wa- handle because 95% of Rader kitchen knives are western handle...I want something different than others!!

+ Reply to Thread