Got "THE" E-mail from Mr "R"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customfan

Reaction score
Got the awaited e-mail from Michael Rader and have been on cloud nine since! Ive been on his list and was saving and making room for a while.

I've been having a ball and I thought I'd share a the process... after long deliveration I decided to go for a 240mm Western Integral gyuto (surprise, right?)

I went W2 Steel since Ive had some very nice experience recently with retention, toughness and sharpening. And got to love that dramatic hammon!

I also asked him to do a flatter profile and here are the pictures of the blade before HT :aikido:

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/customfan1/IMG_1747_zpse4b2c1a5.jpg

Here is where it gets interesting!

Funny story, I was completely fine with having it made in his traditional wood handle but on saturday I had this dream! I dreamt of this beautiful Rader knife with the perfect western handle...... the handle seemed like of wood it was all IVORY.. you know? And instead of it being all white, It had a cap of another color. Maybe even a large matching spacer, don't remember well.

Anyway... I contacted Michael this morning and asked him if it was possible and he obliged.. so it sounds like it might be an interesting handle for sure!

what do you think?

:spin chair:

That sounds really, really cool. The thing about the ivory handles I've seen, is that they are maybe almost a little plain next to his wood ones, which are such masterpieces. You'll have the BEST of all worlds.

My same thoughts exactly! Still a little nervous though...

Im thinking there should be less movement (Shrinkage) since its the same material.

ha!ha! LoL.....I'm totally opposite, Micheal offer me a beautiful piece of ivory that is actually coffee colored; but, I decide go with wood handle....because i had few knives with ivory handle and found the ivory handle is very slippery when is wet & ivory also crack at front/rear end in very dry humidity condition!! if you like the ivory handle you can asking Micheal about this coffee colored fossilized walrus ivory he has!!

I did see it and its beautiful, but its thinner and was basically for a D-shaped-Wa I think.

I like his Western handles more, I think this will be an interesting variation, I do agree with the slipperiness, I guess Ill have to wear gloves when carving that 250 pound hog! he, he, he! :groucho:

Can still change my mind but I have never seen one of his knives with this configuration.

Are you getting a gyuto as well?

Awesome! Congrats. Michael awesome, his work blows my mind and I agree - his Westerns are unreal!

Are you getting a gyuto as well?

yes, 52100 240mm Integral wa-gyuto! I'm not a big fan of western handle; however, Rader's western handle is exception!! I decide go for wa- handle because 95% of Rader kitchen knives are western handle...I want something different than others!!

I got to admit Pete that If you hadn't gone first, I would have not had the idea. So... thank you! :razz:

Well... Let's see how it comes out... Im kind of hoping he puts some copper liners, then a darker spacer, then a light main then a darker cap (same color as the spacer) but it might just be the darker cap...

yes, 52100 240mm Integral wa-gyuto! I'm not a big fan of western handle; however, Rader's western handle is exception!! I decide go for wa- handle because 95% of Rader kitchen knives are western handle...I want something different than others!!

Thanks Dave... I cant wait... Here a werstern and a Wa..

I think hes been evolving, I see his knives with flatter profiles and his western handles are a bit slimmer as well, I can tell from his bolsters. The damascus bolster on his integrals are my favorite feature. But his wa's also command atention...:bladesmith:

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/customfan1/media/IMG_0683.jpg.html

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/customfan1/media/IMG_0661.jpg.html

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/customfan1/media/IMG_1597_zpsb3544b3a.jpg.html

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s676/customfan1/IMG_1600_zps2b2afbf4.jpg

Ok people! Lets see some Raders..... :moon:

I like everything he does but if I could only have one I'd have to have an integral bolster western, he does that so sweet.

customfan, I like your Rader mid-tech gyuto......here is my Rader

Very nice colin! I wondered where that one ended up.... Yours is the revised version! I like the 52100 on that knife, so sweet! The profile on those knifes is somewhat unique...

These should be called the Rader fan club threads!

Very nice colin! I wondered where that one ended up.... Yours is the revised version! I like the 52100 on that knife, so sweet! The profile on those knifes is somewhat unique...

These should be called the Rader fan club threads!

my Rader is full custom integral wa gyuto!! Micheal told me the Rader mid-tech project never took off because he didn't like blade's Heat-treat, there only 12 Rader mid-tech gyuto on the market....

Pete.... Id love to see some more shots of your new knife.... Do you have some? Thnks!

Speaking of Ivory, what's the law regarding their use?
It's pretty difficult for me to get a piece of razor with ivory handles across the state line. Same for other cutlery?

I believe he is using fosilized walrus tusk.

I sent Michael an e-mail to make sure that the pieces he is using fall in the following category.

Marine mamal protection act, Marine mammals that died before 1972 do not fall into the same protected status, and Non-Alaska Natives may use, sell and possess marine mammal parts that meet the standard of Pre-1972.

Someone care to venture more information?

Found some more information, appantly theres been some confusion, specially on e-bay of what constitutes a lagal item... I think this is an interesting topic and am still doing the research.....

Raw materials such as fossil walrus ivory, fossil walrus bones, fossil seal bones, fossil polar bear teeth, etc. are ALL legal for sale in the United States of America. Although im still not clear if this statement applies only to items from St. Laurence island.

Marine mammals that died before 1972 do not fall into the same protected status, and Non-Alaska Natives may use, sell and possess marine mammal parts that meet the standard of Pre-1972. There are of course other caveats to this seemingly simple statement. Any qualifying marine mammal part or product from that time, MUST have been in private possession PRIOR to 1972.

Many people have items they either personally obtained prior to 1972, or received from a friend, relative, purchased from someone who had legal possession etc. Estate sales are a source of "Pre-Act" items. There is no differentiation between "raw material" and Alaska Native handicraft" in "Pre-Act" marine mammal products as far as Federal law is concerned.

Interesting information regarding international shipping of marine mammal.

It is also very important to know that marine mammal products also have clear laws regarding shipping out of the U.S. Many sellers are confused about this, and offer worldwide shipping. Buyers beware, there is NO INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION WHAT-SO-EVER of whale products. Walrus products MUST HAVE A United States C.I.T.E.S. Permit to be shipped out of the U.S. legally, and many countries require their own C.I.T.E.S. permit for entry. Any item caught leaving the U.S. without an accompanying C.I.T.E.S. permit is subject to confiscation, and the sender a possible fine or jail sentence.

I like the profile,even without your request, his standard gyuto profiles seem to have naturally become flatter, less tall and have a lower tip.

I agree Kalaeb... His designs has been evolving, flatter profiles, lower tips and improved release of stiction prone foods. I want to think that some point our requests probably are taken into consideration for the overall profile.

Not sure that he has lowered the height overall, some do seem lower thats for sure.

And I see some of the bolsters and therefore the handle a bit flatter as well, It might be my imagination. :scratchhead:

He also varies his designs ever so lightly, no two knives are really the same. I think this is good, every knife is unique! The true mark of a craftsman! :spin chair:

I got another e-mail with another update... Its looking soo cool I'm having a hard time keeping it together :couch:

Can you see the darker ivory cap over the lighter ivory handle?

No -Can't see any pictures at all. Just see annoying blue links everywhere that are presented as pictures.

Best,

Dave

Found some more information, appantly theres been some confusion, specially on e-bay of what constitutes a lagal item... I think this is an interesting topic and am still doing the research.....

Raw materials such as fossil walrus ivory, fossil walrus bones, fossil seal bones, fossil polar bear teeth, etc. are ALL legal for sale in the United States of America. Although im still not clear if this statement applies only to items from St. Laurence island.

Marine mammals that died before 1972 do not fall into the same protected status, and Non-Alaska Natives may use, sell and possess marine mammal parts that meet the standard of Pre-1972. There are of course other caveats to this seemingly simple statement. Any qualifying marine mammal part or product from that time, MUST have been in private possession PRIOR to 1972.

Many people have items they either personally obtained prior to 1972, or received from a friend, relative, purchased from someone who had legal possession etc. Estate sales are a source of "Pre-Act" items. There is no differentiation between "raw material" and Alaska Native handicraft" in "Pre-Act" marine mammal products as far as Federal law is concerned.

Interesting information regarding international shipping of marine mammal.

It is also very important to know that marine mammal products also have clear laws regarding shipping out of the U.S. Many sellers are confused about this, and offer worldwide shipping. Buyers beware, there is NO INTERNATIONAL TRANSPORTATION WHAT-SO-EVER of whale products. Walrus products MUST HAVE A United States C.I.T.E.S. Permit to be shipped out of the U.S. legally, and many countries require their own C.I.T.E.S. permit for entry. Any item caught leaving the U.S. without an accompanying C.I.T.E.S. permit is subject to confiscation, and the sender a possible fine or jail sentence.

Well, there goes my dreams of a narwhal horn suji :(

Chris

Thanks for the info on the ivory.
Never had anything other than razors with ivory, but the way they feel warm and clingy to the skin at room temp is something to experience.

Well, there goes my dreams of a narwhal horn suji :(
I never even knew such beautiful creature existed. Unicorns of the sea!
At least you can still hope to get one with a million year old mammoth tusk.

I think Pierre and Son are to blame for the mammoth tooth popularity. Wait, I mean thank them....

The handle's looking great, Customfan!

IMG_1597_zpsb3544b3a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My god this is amazing.

Latest posts

Back