Beware of US postal service.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamT

Reaction score
Hi all, like all of you I was searching for a perfect cutting board to fit with my new masamoto knife so after searching for awhile I came to a stop with davidboardsmith.My board which was suppose to come through ups was apparently 'delivered' while I'm left with a new knife and no board in sight.I was home the whole day today so it couldn't be me missing the delivery.

After trying many times to contact ups postal,all I ever get through to was a machine...It is apparently impossible to reach anyone on the phone(I actually contacted UPS thinking they were both the same companies).As of right now david is trying to contact them but I'm writing this as a warning for people who decide to go through ups and also hope someone with any experience with them can give me some advice.

It is us postal service that I'm warning you guys about,I accidently contact UPS thinking they were the same thing .Apond further inquiry I found out that apparently once they deliver to canada, the item is then ship through canada post.I contacted them and they told me that my package was HAND DELIVERED but they couldn't give me a address of any kind, that I would have to contact the seller to do any sort of dispute.Clearly someone has my package but I guess us postal service wasn't really at fault on this one....

It is us postal service that I'm warning you guys about,I accidently contact UPS thinking they were the same thing .Apond further inquiry I found out that apparently once they deliver to canada, the item is then ship through canada post.I contacted them and they told me that my package was HAND DELIVERED but they couldn't give me a address of any kind, that I would have to contact the seller to do any sort of dispute.Clearly someone has my package but I guess us postal service wasn't really at fault on this one....

I'm trying to understand how the US Postal Service is responsible for a package that was delivered by Canada Post in Canada. They don't deliver across the border, you know.

Seems like your beef is with Canada Post, no?

Yes you are right...I did realize my mistake after a bit of calling around.I was so frustrated that I didn't think things through and just blamed ups.I do apologize for that as the title now is very misleading.

Man.. You have berated USPS and UPS . USPS delivered and fulfilled their end to the Canadian side.

You shld have checked first before you make any wild allegations and be clear that USPS and UPS are two different entities.

It is a detrimental statement which is totally unfounded in this case.

D

Yes you are right...I did realize my mistake after a bit of calling around.I was so frustrated that I didn't think things through and just blamed ups.I do apologize for that as the title now is very misleading.

I've sent several knives via USPS and Canada Post without incident, but that won't help you in your situation. IIRC, the shipper (in this case, David) is the party that would have to initiate a claim. So, for now, all you can do is exercise patience and hope the situation is resolved.

Sorry for your disappointment, BTW.

Rick

I had this happen once when a fill in mailman was working for a few days. I believe it was a package from Butch, and the site read, "delivered". I got nervous, called, was told to wait in case it was mistakenly claimed as delivered and lo and behold, it arrived a few hours later. Sometimes they skip a step to make their lives easier (the mail carriers). If it isn't there at the end of the day tomorrow, call and if items insured, eventually you should get some sort of refund.

I've sent several knives via USPS and Canada Post without incident, but that won't help you in your situation. IIRC, the shipper (in this case, David) is the party that would have to initiate a claim. So, for now, all you can do is exercise patience and hope the situation is resolved.

Sorry for your disappointment, BTW.

Rick

Thank you, the only problem I have with both my local canada post and ups is that they always drop package and leave without waiting for anyone to open door.Although I've always manage to get my items without trouble.The real problem here is that canada post had stated to me that they have hand delivered it to a address.

And to the poster above I've already realize that I had a little mix up and I do apologize on that but the shock was a bit to much considering the anticipation was so high.

Update

David has contacted them and has open up a dispute with canada post.All I have to do now is wait a few weeks and hope the mix up is cleared.If they indeed sent it to the wrong person and they don't intend to return it I hope that person will treat her well, she was a beau that I might never get to meet and I even had the beeswax and mineral oil all prepared:happymug:

That sucks IamT, I've had heaps of stuff shipped from all over the world and never had a problem with the fine folks at Canada Post. For future reference, if you're getting something valuable shipped, it can be a good call to get the person who is shipping it to do so using a level of service that requires a signature on the delivery end. I recently had a watch shipped to me from overseas and it was signed for by my landlord who lives in the unit above. Within two hours of delivery I could see the name of the person who signed for the delivery and even a scan of their signature on the Canada Post website. My guess is your board will show up in the next day or two as soon as they figure out what's going on. Fingers crossed!

That sucks IamT, I've had heaps of stuff shipped from all over the world and never had a problem with the fine folks at Canada Post. For future reference, if you're getting something valuable shipped, it can be a good call to get the person who is shipping it to do so using a level of service that requires a signature on the delivery end. I recently had a watch shipped to me from overseas and it was signed for by my landlord who lives in the unit above. Within two hours of delivery I could see the name of the person who signed for the delivery and even a scan of their signature on the Canada Post website. My guess is your board will show up in the next day or two as soon as they figure out what's going on. Fingers crossed!

Thank you for the encouragement I'm feeling alot better now.Worst comes to worst, this might be a very expensive lesson(hopefully it won't get there).Also from now on that is exactly what I'm going to do, ask for a require signature service.The only thing that makes me boil is the fact that on their site it is stated as delivered meaning someone might have their hands on the board at this very moment which I paid hard earn cash for.

To recap: The board was shipped by Priority Mail International on 4/8. It is shown today as delivered on the USPS web site but they depend on accurate information from Canada Post. I did start an international claim and the lady on the other end said they usually get the deliveries made soon after. But it could take up to 21 days for the investigation by Canada Post to be complete.

As an aside, starting when the new web site goes live, any board whose value is over $200 will go with a signature required for delivery. The current package being discussed was less value and would not have come under that requirement.

I hope the board is found.

Don't fret too much, sometimes the systems dont mesh 100%. I have had a 115 838 427 marked as delivered, only to be delayed by several days. By my post masters own mouth, "the tracking system is not that great".

To recap: The board was shipped by Priority Mail International on 4/8. It is shown today as delivered on the USPS web site but they depend on accurate information from Canada Post. I did start an international claim and the lady on the other end said they usually get the deliveries made soon after. But it could take up to 21 days for the investigation by Canada Post to be complete.

As an aside, starting when the new web site goes live, any board whose value is over $200 will go with a signature required for delivery. The current package being discussed was less value and would not have come under that requirement.

I hope the board is found.

Thank you david for the quick actions and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

I don't live in Canada so can't speak with 100 percent knowledge on this sort of situation, but have you tried going to the actual post office and seeing if they have it there? The USPS delivery guy here has always, and I mean ALWAYS just left one of their cards saying they tried to make the delivery but nobody was home. I work from home, so I'm always home. What I always end up having to do is go to the actual post office and pick up whatever item it is that was supposed to be delivered. It's not really that big of an issue, and in a way I'm grateful that it doesn't get left in the weather or subject to being stolen if for whatever reason I don't hear them when they come knocking. Just a thought.

I don't live in Canada so can't speak with 100 percent knowledge on this sort of situation, but have you tried going to the actual post office and seeing if they have it there? The USPS delivery guy here has always, and I mean ALWAYS just left one of their cards saying they tried to make the delivery but nobody was home. I work from home, so I'm always home. What I always end up having to do is go to the actual post office and pick up whatever item it is that was supposed to be delivered. It's not really that big of an issue, and in a way I'm grateful that it doesn't get left in the weather or subject to being stolen if for whatever reason I don't hear them when they come knocking. Just a thought.

That is something that crossed my mind but when I called in/track, they said it was already off to a "address' but I will still def go anyways in the morning just incase.

Man everytime ups drops off a package I have a problem. Today I received memory for a new computer, knowing that I wouldn't be home I left a note on the door saying to put in garage. The left it on the porch. Wouldn't be a problem in about a mo., but it snowed over a foot last night. Was still snowing when they dropped it off. Nothing like a wet package full of memory.

Is this Bob or Doug McKenzie? C'mon now...fess up! :eyebrow:
Eh you hoser!
Hosehead the dog is awesome! One of the best movies of all time.
I sure could go for an Elsinore brew right now.

Problem with the USPS is that they only deliver in the US.

How late is the package?

Might it just be clearing customs or hung up there. I've had packages cross borders before and it will say delivered when handed over to the other country, even though it has just entered the other country's post system. Past that point it may be held up for other reasons like customs. It might even be a random customs checking of packages. They don't check every one, but every now and then I will get a package from abroad and have to pay additional customs, even though I have ordered several times from the same vendor with it never happening before. One time when I ordered something from Canada from Pierre, it took a couple weeks after it being delivered to the USPS. When I ordered from tosho knife arts in Canada, however, it took 2 days after being handed over to the USPS. It can really vary quite a bit.

k.

As I recall, when I ordered Pierre's Suji from Lefty, it spent a lovely 4-5 day vacation in the Chicago postal center before heading out to me.

How late is the package?

Might it just be clearing customs or hung up there. I've had packages cross borders before and it will say delivered when handed over to the other country, even though it has just entered the other country's post system. Past that point it may be held up for other reasons like customs. It might even be a random customs checking of packages. They don't check every one, but every now and then I will get a package from abroad and have to pay additional customs, even though I have ordered several times from the same vendor with it never happening before. One time when I ordered something from Canada from Pierre, it took a couple weeks after it being delivered to the USPS. When I ordered from tosho knife arts in Canada, however, it took 2 days after being handed over to the USPS. It can really vary quite a bit.

k.
could be but the canada post site said it was already delivery.My only hope is that they muck up.

I believe this is a plant by the UPS or FedEx to bring dangerous propaganda to the U.S Postal Service. A fine company that is as old as this fine country that has served it's countrymen very well. Who is this really? D. Scott Davis? Frederick W. Smith? CONFESS VILE PRIVATE COMPANY DEMON CONFESS!!!!!!

I received a letter from the USPS stating that Canada Post delivered the package on 4/15. Did this happen?

See? This is why I never trust Canada..... Especially Denis Dyack and the Silicon Knights.

[video=youtube;bOR38552MJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA[/video]

Back