Quantcast
210 wa petty or gyuto??
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 210 wa petty or gyuto??

210 wa petty or gyuto??

So I would like some advice on this. I am need a smaller prep knife with the amount of space I have in my kitchen. I have been leaning towards the wa petty but I'm not sure. Would like to hear from all of you out there. Thanks

John
    Respect all Fear none

Some of the line cooks here have recommended a petty for line work on several occasions, for the exact reasons you suggested. Haven't heard of anyone suggesting it for pre-service prep though.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I bought a 180 petty for use a line knife...and I have ended up using it for everything...its my most used knife now. Our space is really tight, so even doing prep, people are often passing by right behind me, so having a small knife that keeps my elbow out of their way really helps.

Yeah I'm trying make a choice and its not easy
    Respect all Fear none

a 210 hiromoto ginsanko sujihiki is the most bang for the buck of what's out there imho =D

Franz where can I pick that up at ?
    Respect all Fear none

I use a 210 wa-petty on the line (meat station, mostly slicing) and I would never consider it a good prep knife. the knuckle clearance just isn't there.
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by WiscoNole View Post
    I use a 210 wa-petty on the line (meat station, mostly slicing) and I would never consider it a good prep knife. the knuckle clearance just isn't there.
    Yeah, I use my petty for prep, but I learn to hold my knife differently. Pretty much I hold the handle with my thumb and middle finger,my pointer finger rests along the back of the blade or to the side sometimes. Anyways, its an extremely light touch holding the knife, but I like it a lot. Can feel the food. OR when I need more pressure, holding the handle with the back three fingers, pointer finger still resting on the back of the blade. I never use a pinch grip

^ yeah all that isn't worth it to me when I have a 240 gyuto too. I definitely don't think that either of those knives can replace the other.
    -Matt

japanesechefknife.com

=D

+ Reply to Thread