210 wa petty or gyuto??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azchef

Reaction score
So I would like some advice on this. I am need a smaller prep knife with the amount of space I have in my kitchen. I have been leaning towards the wa petty but I'm not sure. Would like to hear from all of you out there. Thanks

John

Some of the line cooks here have recommended a petty for line work on several occasions, for the exact reasons you suggested. Haven't heard of anyone suggesting it for pre-service prep though.

I bought a 180 petty for use a line knife...and I have ended up using it for everything...its my most used knife now. Our space is really tight, so even doing prep, people are often passing by right behind me, so having a small knife that keeps my elbow out of their way really helps.

Yeah I'm trying make a choice and its not easy

a 210 hiromoto ginsanko sujihiki is the most bang for the buck of what's out there imho =D

I use a 210 wa-petty on the line (meat station, mostly slicing) and I would never consider it a good prep knife. the knuckle clearance just isn't there.

I use a 210 wa-petty on the line (meat station, mostly slicing) and I would never consider it a good prep knife. the knuckle clearance just isn't there.
Yeah, I use my petty for prep, but I learn to hold my knife differently. Pretty much I hold the handle with my thumb and middle finger,my pointer finger rests along the back of the blade or to the side sometimes. Anyways, its an extremely light touch holding the knife, but I like it a lot. Can feel the food. OR when I need more pressure, holding the handle with the back three fingers, pointer finger still resting on the back of the blade. I never use a pinch grip

^ yeah all that isn't worth it to me when I have a 240 gyuto too. I definitely don't think that either of those knives can replace the other.

Back