Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Natural Wood Handles - Koa and Layered Birch Bark

AFAIK, technically all materials move, just at different rates. I am looking at an unstabilized koa handle that was made several months ago and with my fingernail I can feel that the transitions between horn - metal - koa are not perfectly flush anymore, but this is IMHO not enough to make it a problem (especially because that one will stay on the island). That said, I would not sell such a handle to someone in Utah or Colorado if I have metal next to unstabilized wood. But well seasoned koa paired with another stable unstabilized wood should not be a problem from all I know (and that may not be all that much...).

Stefan

I have to add that horn moves at a different rate than wood, and should you have a metal spacer in your handle, you will definitely feel it in the winter.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com