Quantcast
The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

I know you all sometimes like to look behind the curtain so I thought Iíd give you an idea about what it takes to get a piece of wood into your hands.
    Hereís a picture of my processing plant where it all happens.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  110.5 KB
    The journey actually begins spending hours and hours looking for that special piece of wood with the right dimensions, grain, figure, chatoyance, and lack of defects.
Views: 154
Size:  138.8 KB
    Often I buy my stock from around the world so I have the same anticipation as you do when you buy something from me. Sometimes it meets or exceeds my expectations and sometimes it turn to mulch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	14603
    After a slab is cut,
Views: 151
Size:  30.3 KB
    if it has any finish on it each piece needs to be sanded to allow for faster drying.

Views:	27 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	14605
    if necessary, and to prep for stabilization, which requires that the wood be finish free. When the non-hardwoods are finally dry (<10% mc), and that could take months or longer, they go out for stabilizing. And that could take a couple of weeks or a couple of months more, depending on how busy (or not busy) K&F is. They wait until they have enough material to fill up their tubes.

Views:	29 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	14606
    Too much, you wait your turn, too little, you wait for more. After that itís back to the sander for clean-up.
Views: 153
Size:  20.9 KB
    Oops, wrong Sander(s)
Views: 152
Size:  73.4 KB
    That's better.
    For really dirty pieces this could mean three different grits to get a nice clean, smooth finish. By the way, when wood comes back from being stabilized it really, really stinks
    from the chemicals.
Views: 156
Size:  19.7 KB
    Wearing a respirator while sanding is a must, not only for the smell, but the dust from some woods are very irritating. Here I am all decked out with my safety gear.

Views:	24 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	14609
    After the final sanding I clean each piece with mineral spirits then I inspect the piece for any voids or checks which are filled with CA and sanded yet again I finish each piece with a combination of shellac, mineral spirits (to thin) and some secret ingredients,

Views:	31 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	14610
    that includes elbow gease, to protect and show the grain. Then itís on to photographing
Views: 161
Size:  50.1 KB
    each piece (two per piece) which then need to be cropped, downloaded into the server and uploaded into the site. This is followed by inputting all the data necessary
Views: 155
Size:  118.4 KB
    like dimensions, code, price, tax status and descriptions. After a purchase (when I stop jumping up and down) there are invoices and mailing labels to be printed and boxes to be packed
Views: 157
Size:  31.0 KB
    not to mention all the records that need to be kept for accounting.

Views:	27 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	14615
    Then itís off to the post office for mailing.

I figure my hourly wage on this ďjobĒ is about $0.17. Itís dirty at times, noisy at times, stinks at times and, around the band saw and sander, dangerous at times, but itís always fun, interesting and even exciting at times. This is about doing something I love to do and being part of community I highly respect and admire.

So the next time you get your hands on a piece of my (or someone elses) wood remember that that little baby probably came half way around the world from some exotic place, went through various transformations to get from tree to blank, was pampered and cared for like it was part of the family, and now itís in your hands, ready to meet its final destiny. Imagine the possibilities.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Thanks for your detailed explanation! Looks like you invested well in the infrastructure for your business. If it were any easier, anybody could sell wood. I keep thinking about selling off some of mine but it's too much work...

Stefan

that's certainly quite a "setup" you have there...

well-played.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Your accountant needs a vacation, and by the looks of it a roll in the sack. What???
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

You should be payed for sheer entertainment value. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Your accountant needs a vacation, and by the looks of it a roll in the sack. What???
    Shame on you Lefty, that's my wife......no, not really.

Nice post I wish you even more orders than we can see on the last picture

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    Why not include a few shots of your global timber reserves and the seedling planting process, which decades later results in the beautiful wood people crave?
    The truth and nothing but the truth. I, in fact, do everything I cover in the post from searching to mailing. Just took some liberties with the pictures. Timber reserves and seedlings are beyond my scope - for now.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I'm anxiously awaiting Mark @ Burlsource's full disclosure post. I know for sure that his will include a lot of sweatshop pics.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Boy, you guys are a tough crowd. I thought for sure I'd get more replies than this. Guess it's kinda like dealing in wood - you don't do it for the fame and glory, just the satisfaction of a job well done.