The Whole Truth and Nothing But The Truth

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
I know you all sometimes like to look behind the curtain so I thought I’d give you an idea about what it takes to get a piece of wood into your hands.
Here’s a picture of my processing plant where it all happens.
image.jpg
The journey actually begins spending hours and hours looking for that special piece of wood with the right dimensions, grain, figure, chatoyance, and lack of defects.
image.jpg
Often I buy my stock from around the world so I have the same anticipation as you do when you buy something from me. Sometimes it meets or exceeds my expectations and sometimes it turn to mulch.
image.jpg
After a slab is cut,
image.jpg
if it has any finish on it each piece needs to be sanded to allow for faster drying.
image.jpg
if necessary, and to prep for stabilization, which requires that the wood be finish free. When the non-hardwoods are finally dry (<10% mc), and that could take months or longer, they go out for stabilizing. And that could take a couple of weeks or a couple of months more, depending on how busy (or not busy) K&F is. They wait until they have enough material to fill up their tubes.
image.jpg
Too much, you wait your turn, too little, you wait for more. After that it’s back to the sander for clean-up.
image.jpg
Oops, wrong Sander(s)
image.jpg
That's better.
For really dirty pieces this could mean three different grits to get a nice clean, smooth finish. By the way, when wood comes back from being stabilized it really, really stinks
from the chemicals.
image.jpg
Wearing a respirator while sanding is a must, not only for the smell, but the dust from some woods are very irritating. Here I am all decked out with my safety gear.
image.jpg
After the final sanding I clean each piece with mineral spirits then I inspect the piece for any voids or checks which are filled with CA and sanded yet again I finish each piece with a combination of shellac, mineral spirits (to thin) and some secret ingredients,
image.jpg
that includes elbow gease, to protect and show the grain. Then it’s on to photographing
image.jpg
each piece (two per piece) which then need to be cropped, downloaded into the server and uploaded into the site. This is followed by inputting all the data necessary
image.jpg
like dimensions, code, price, tax status and descriptions. After a purchase (when I stop jumping up and down) there are invoices and mailing labels to be printed and boxes to be packed
image.jpg
not to mention all the records that need to be kept for accounting.
image.jpg
Then it’s off to the post office for mailing.

I figure my hourly wage on this “job” is about $0.17. It’s dirty at times, noisy at times, stinks at times and, around the band saw and sander, dangerous at times, but it’s always fun, interesting and even exciting at times. This is about doing something I love to do and being part of community I highly respect and admire.

So the next time you get your hands on a piece of my (or someone elses) wood remember that that little baby probably came half way around the world from some exotic place, went through various transformations to get from tree to blank, was pampered and cared for like it was part of the family, and now it’s in your hands, ready to meet its final destiny. Imagine the possibilities.

:D Thanks for your detailed explanation! Looks like you invested well in the infrastructure for your business. If it were any easier, anybody could sell wood. ;) I keep thinking about selling off some of mine but it's too much work...

Stefan

that's certainly quite a "setup" you have there...

well-played.

Your accountant needs a vacation, and by the looks of it a roll in the sack. What???

You should be payed for sheer entertainment value. Thank you!

Nice post:D:D I wish you even more orders than we can see on the last picture:D

Why not include a few shots of your global timber reserves and the seedling planting process, which decades later results in the beautiful wood people crave?

The truth and nothing but the truth. I, in fact, do everything I cover in the post from searching to mailing. Just took some liberties with the pictures. Timber reserves and seedlings are beyond my scope - for now.

I'm anxiously awaiting Mark @ Burlsource's full disclosure post. I know for sure that his will include a lot of sweatshop pics.

Boy, you guys are a tough crowd. I thought for sure I'd get more replies than this. Guess it's kinda like dealing in wood - you don't do it for the fame and glory, just the satisfaction of a job well done.

I hope those guys you pay for sanding are documented. Otherwise your accountant will have even more paperwork.

Back