Quantcast
Murray Carter Leaves Custom Knife Business - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Murray Carter Leaves Custom Knife Business

I think this is a good move both politically and personally on his part. He's got a wife, four kids and a crew to support not to mention a new facility to pay for. He made his bones forging traditional Japanese knives and that's what he loves doing so kudos to you Murray.

I concur 100%

Can't say I am not disappointed but I wish Murray the best in whatever direction he chooses.

His move does make sense, altho I can certainly understand those waiting being disappointed. Thankfully (konda) I'll never have a chance or own/use one so it doesn't impact me any lol. Hope his ventures go well and foe those here who lost out on a custom, I'll have a beer in your honor :-)

I sold an older Carter custom gyuto at the show. Maybe I should have held on to it? Prices might be going up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    he doesn't laminate the stainless clad ones himself.
    Really? So only the KU are made from "scratch". Does he buy the laminate premade and "just" cut it out? I always assumed he made the laminate himself.

Somewhere along the way - I think in one of the newsletters - he stated that the KU series is made from scratch while the others with stainless cladding are not. After reading that, I decided that come time to buy a Carter I would really only consider the KUs as they represent more Carter-ness, as it were. However, since then, there have only been a few sporadic KU knives made and they were all shorties.
    Len

I had two custom knives on order with Murray. I got on the custom order list in the fall of 2011. Both large AS gyutos in the SFGZ series. I don't like his HG series as much and I really dislike his "high end" handles, and certainly do not want to pay the markup on them.

So obviously I am a little disappointed. I'm not quite sure I buy the quality issue as an excuse. It seems backwards to me. The production ones come out better than the ones made one at a time? I do think that they are more time consuming, and since the wait list goes back so far, it takes more time to complete a knife that is being sold at pricing from 2+ years ago. If that's a problem, well guess what, don't take deposits then. Just have people put their name on a list and when you get to them, you get to them. None of this mess required.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Somewhere along the way - I think in one of the newsletters - he stated that the KU series is made from scratch while the others with stainless cladding are not. After reading that, I decided that come time to buy a Carter I would really only consider the KUs as they represent more Carter-ness, as it were. However, since then, there have only been a few sporadic KU knives made and they were all shorties.
    So when he says in his most recent newsletter that he still forges each knife himself he is not talking about the lamination process? Kind of a bummer.

[QUOTE=Justin0505;199531he doesn't laminate the stainless clad ones himself[/QUOTE]

You sure? I saw a youtube vid of him making a clad knife from scratch. He specifically shows splitting the softer steel and inserting the harder core material. I'll look around on youtube later to see if I can find it in the pile of other stuff he's done.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

+ Reply to Thread