Quantcast
Paleo Diet - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I don't feel that cutting out processed and junk food from your diet is a "Fad".
    I didn't say it was. However, the Paleo diet appears to be way more than just giving up processed and junk food. I don't consider bread, pasta or potatoes "junk food".

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    Asking a "Guido" to give up pasta and bread is a tall order. I had a bite of bread last weekend and can't say I miss it a bit.I don't feel that cutting out processed and junk food from your diet is a "Fad".
    I agree about cutting out processed and junk food. To me, it's the no legumes, which includes soy, and no rice, that are most difficult in my opinion. I'm mostly Japanese - asking me to take soy and rice out of my diet would remove nearly all of the condiments and seasonings used in Japanese cooking.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

For me it's not a fad, but rather a health choice. My recovery times between exercises are shorter, my skin cleared up, I feel healthier and fitter. And I didn't give up foods I like, I just eat them about 15% of the time, 3-4 meals per week. Giving up pasta, dairy wasn't a big deal. Even giving up coffee wasn't that a big of a deal.

Congrats Mario - 35Lb in 6 weeks, that's quite remarkable.

I really embraced Paleo after reading Paleo for Athletes by Loren Cordain.

It did make my cooking a bit difficult, as to come up with a nice meal now, I have to be more creative, as I am using fewer ingredients. Luckily my wife loves meat, fish and vegetables.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

When my wife took off I gradually lost almost 60lbs over 3 years. I just didn't eat as much. No regular time for eating, just ate whatever whenever I was hungry. I live above the restaurant so it's not a lack of food.

I would like to add a few pounds and stabilize there. Buying new clothes is fun but expensive.

It may be costly but I say lose-the-wife diet works pretty good. Really, after 25 years what good are they anyway?

That ted talk clip has more to do with what our ancestors actually ate, which varied due to climate, weather and geographical conditions. Whether or not the diet itself is historically accurate to me is irrelevant. Im sure if used properly the paleo diet can increase ones health and help with workout gains, theres just too many bad ass crossfitters on paleo for me to believe otherwise. IMO theres just too much nutrition whole grains, whole milk, and beans to give up.t
    Marko, according to the book It Starts With Food(basically Paleo under a different name) it is actually recommended that you eat heavy cream and butter, coffee is okay too. just no sweetners of any kind.

Ad alcohol? Fruit has been spontaneously fermenting as long as there has been any, and if birds can get drunk, why can't I?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    For me it's not a fad, but rather a health choice. My recovery times between exercises are shorter, my skin cleared up, I feel healthier and fitter. And I didn't give up foods I like, I just eat them about 15% of the time, 3-4 meals per week. Giving up pasta, dairy wasn't a big deal. Even giving up coffee wasn't that a big of a deal.
    This is my diet and life philosphy, however, I didn't give up anything and I don't follow the paleo diet. I do eat mostly paleo because that is what is healthy and taste good to me. I am not for or against paleo I just enjoy dessert and bread on the weekends. 3-5 splurge meals a week and I suffer no setbacks of health or weight gain. I have been eating well and exercising alot for the past four years and lost 40 lbs initially, I feel the best I have ever felt and this was at 25, so I am a big advocate of diet and exercise because I know what it did for me. I think moderation is the best way to go about diet and most things in life, except for when buying knives .

I am doing the Scando-Italian paleo diet that includes a lot of pasta and a steady dose of potatoes.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I lost 18-19 lbs in about 10 weeks, down to about 14% body fat going with a very loose paleo-type diet, not binging and exercising just about every day. I'm pretty sure the key to the whole thing was an app I started using: MyFitnessPal. There are a lot of them but I happened to pick this one. It helped to be aware of how many calories I was consuming and expending. That way I could lose weight without losing too much muscle mass. While losing weight, I systematically overestimated what I was consuming and now that I'm maintaining, I try to be more accurate. So far, so good.

No Scotch...no Sir!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter