Paleo Diet

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RRLOVER

Reaction score
Is anyone on here eating this way?? I have been doing it for 8 weeks now with some great results.

I have been following Paleo diet for about 3 months now, about 85% of the time. If you combine Paleo with exercising, particularly Crossfit, you can get results really fast.

I know I can google this, but can someone just give me the cliffnotes of eating paelo please?

No grains, no starches, no dairy, no processed sugars, no whiskey, no women, no nothing. :)
Did I mention, no tobacco?

The idea is to eat what paleolithic humans would have eaten as hunter-gatherers because the human body is still essentially as it was then and therefore is best adapted to such a diet. The intended end result is better health, of which getting to a good weight/shape is just part of it.

I'm incorporating paleo principles, but man, rice and noodles are gonna be impossible for me to give up. So my diet is now headed towards more meat, more veggies, less starches, smaller portions overall, miss a meal every now and then. I'm now eating the same rice portions as my mom and fiancee (sometimes less), both of whom are small asian ladies.

LOL @ no women.

Is the no alcohol thing only the first 30 days, or for the entire duration?

And, no legumes and no salt.

That is nearly my entire diet, what can you eat?

You eat meat,eggs,vegatables and fruit....minus potato.There are no processed foods at all. I was able to drop 35 pounds of fat in 6 weeks.I do cheat and have some sushi,I can't give that up.

I looked at this, but the moment I read no potatoes or bread or booze. Hah! ;-)

Well, the idea is to strive to follow Paleo diet most of the time, while giving yourself some flexibility for occasions like eating at friends homes, eating out or eating your favorite food that is not Paleo. I allow myself 3-4 meals per week that are not Paleo. I actually gained some lean muscle weight (Paleo+Crossfit), and I really like it. I gave up coffee and wine and can't say that I miss it much.

You eat meat,eggs,vegatables and fruit....minus potato.There are no processed foods at all. I was able to drop 35 pounds of fat in 6 weeks.I do cheat and have some sushi,I can't give that up.

No pasta???????

Funnily enough, a good friend of mine who recently moved back to Joisey (WHY??? cuz she lost her work here and her new boyfriend is well grounded there) and opened a CrossFit gym posted this on FB. [video=youtube;BMOjVYgYaG8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8[/video]

My general rule of diet is don't eat anything that comes from a box, a bag or a can. Stay away from anything processed if you really want to loose weight - and that means ANY flour ground from any grain. Small quantities of whole grains - rice, quinoa, barley, etc - are ok, but flours made from these get digested too quickly. Whole wheat bread is NOT a whole grain food.

i recently changed my life. i simply eat less. no more fast food. (tiny bits on road trips :(). i rarely eat out either. i cook everything. no take outs.

i quit drinking booze for two years. zip. i now have an occasional glass of FANTASTIC wine. i exercise daily.

my blood work stunned my doc. blood pressure all normal. she is so happy. i lost a bit of weight. i LOOK skinnier. i wont focus on one type of diet. i just made a global mind change. watch what i eat.

oatmeal every work morning. salad for lunch..exercise. that is all.

you guys make fun of that show Diners, drive-in and dives..i hate the show. but i was amazed how crazy fattening alot of the show food is. i understand how restaurants need to make the food delicious..i get it. but we collectively use alot of butter!

i recently changed my life. i simply eat less. no more fast food. (tiny bits on road trips :(). i rarely eat out either. i cook everything. no take outs.

i quit drinking booze for two years. zip. i now have an occasional glass of FANTASTIC wine. i exercise daily.

my blood work stunned my doc. blood pressure all normal. she is so happy. i lost a bit of weight. i LOOK skinnier. i wont focus on one type of diet. i just made a global mind change. watch what i eat.

oatmeal every work morning. salad for lunch..exercise. that is all.

you guys make fun of that show Diners, drive-in and dives..i hate the show. but i was amazed how crazy fattening alot of the show food is. i understand how restaurants need to make the food delicious..i get it. but we collectively use alot of butter!

Now this is the proper approach, IMHO. No trendy "diet of the month". You can eat anything you want once in a while, as long as you.... Eat less, move more.

No pasta???????

Asking a "Guido" to give up pasta and bread is a tall order. I had a bite of bread last weekend and can't say I miss it a bit.I don't feel that cutting out processed and junk food from your diet is a "Fad".

I don't feel that cutting out processed and junk food from your diet is a "Fad".

I didn't say it was. However, the Paleo diet appears to be way more than just giving up processed and junk food. I don't consider bread, pasta or potatoes "junk food".

Asking a "Guido" to give up pasta and bread is a tall order. I had a bite of bread last weekend and can't say I miss it a bit.I don't feel that cutting out processed and junk food from your diet is a "Fad".

I agree about cutting out processed and junk food. To me, it's the no legumes, which includes soy, and no rice, that are most difficult in my opinion. I'm mostly Japanese - asking me to take soy and rice out of my diet would remove nearly all of the condiments and seasonings used in Japanese cooking.

For me it's not a fad, but rather a health choice. My recovery times between exercises are shorter, my skin cleared up, I feel healthier and fitter. And I didn't give up foods I like, I just eat them about 15% of the time, 3-4 meals per week. Giving up pasta, dairy wasn't a big deal. Even giving up coffee wasn't that a big of a deal.

Congrats Mario - 35Lb in 6 weeks, that's quite remarkable.

I really embraced Paleo after reading Paleo for Athletes by Loren Cordain.

It did make my cooking a bit difficult, as to come up with a nice meal now, I have to be more creative, as I am using fewer ingredients. Luckily my wife loves meat, fish and vegetables.

When my wife took off I gradually lost almost 60lbs over 3 years. I just didn't eat as much. No regular time for eating, just ate whatever whenever I was hungry. I live above the restaurant so it's not a lack of food.

I would like to add a few pounds and stabilize there. Buying new clothes is fun but expensive.

It may be costly but I say lose-the-wife diet works pretty good. Really, after 25 years what good are they anyway?

That ted talk clip has more to do with what our ancestors actually ate, which varied due to climate, weather and geographical conditions. Whether or not the diet itself is historically accurate to me is irrelevant. Im sure if used properly the paleo diet can increase ones health and help with workout gains, theres just too many bad ass crossfitters on paleo for me to believe otherwise. IMO theres just too much nutrition whole grains, whole milk, and beans to give up.t
Marko, according to the book It Starts With Food(basically Paleo under a different name) it is actually recommended that you eat heavy cream and butter, coffee is okay too. just no sweetners of any kind.

Ad alcohol? Fruit has been spontaneously fermenting as long as there has been any, and if birds can get drunk, why can't I?

For me it's not a fad, but rather a health choice. My recovery times between exercises are shorter, my skin cleared up, I feel healthier and fitter. And I didn't give up foods I like, I just eat them about 15% of the time, 3-4 meals per week. Giving up pasta, dairy wasn't a big deal. Even giving up coffee wasn't that a big of a deal.

This is my diet and life philosphy, however, I didn't give up anything and I don't follow the paleo diet. I do eat mostly paleo because that is what is healthy and taste good to me. I am not for or against paleo I just enjoy dessert and bread on the weekends. 3-5 splurge meals a week and I suffer no setbacks of health or weight gain. I have been eating well and exercising alot for the past four years and lost 40 lbs initially, I feel the best I have ever felt and this was at 25, so I am a big advocate of diet and exercise because I know what it did for me. I think moderation is the best way to go about diet and most things in life, except for when buying knives :).

I lost 18-19 lbs in about 10 weeks, down to about 14% body fat going with a very loose paleo-type diet, not binging and exercising just about every day. I'm pretty sure the key to the whole thing was an app I started using: MyFitnessPal. There are a lot of them but I happened to pick this one. It helped to be aware of how many calories I was consuming and expending. That way I could lose weight without losing too much muscle mass. While losing weight, I systematically overestimated what I was consuming and now that I'm maintaining, I try to be more accurate. So far, so good.

Latest posts

Back