Quantcast
looking for an exceptional "work horse" knife
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: looking for an exceptional "work horse" knife

looking for an exceptional "work horse" knife

currently the two gyutos i use are a 210 mm konosuke hd2 and a 240 mm kikuichi, both being stainless/semi stainless steels and lasers/ laseresque knives.

i really want to get a carbon steel 240 mm gyuto with a relatively flat profile with good edge retention but can also achieve a very sharp edge in the $400 range or less.

wa or western handle is fine i have knives in both and i dont really have a preference

Lamson/Rodrigue/McLean 24 cm gyuto:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...tion-Next-Step

Hd and tkc kikuichi are both great workhorses. My 270 tkc gets a workout on a regular basis and I love it. There are a lot of great knives in the sub 400 range. Just find one that suits you really. If you have any particular knives in mind let us know as we will be able to share our experiences with the knives in question.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

knives ive been looking at are the masamoto ks, konosuke fujiyama, takese sasanoha

The two knives you have are good blades.Depends what you mean by workhorse.As you mention,flat,sharp,good edge reten.,All the knives you are looking at are good choices.A step up fr. what you have.They will fly thru food,but no bones.I think mono steel carbons make great workhorse knives used mostly Masamoto's.For a little less coin the Sakai Takayuki Blue Steel Guyto at Blueway Japan is another good carbon.

Engorged Member
    Yoshikane San Mai v2
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

If you want to try a sturdy carbon workhorse that offers great steel at a great steal (sorry, I know that was bad), take a look at Suien VC from JKI. You could get two at your budget.

This looks interesting to me. Mizuno Hontanren Blue #2. Gyuto in 240 or 270 would be under budget. Anybody use one?

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Hontan...html#Hontanren

for my own definition, workhorse gyuto should be hefty, sturdy with good edge retention carbon steel(blue/o1/w2...etc ) knife!! I can only think two right now- "Watanabe pro gyuto" & "Kato gyuto".
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    This looks interesting to me. Mizuno Hontanren Blue #2. Gyuto in 240 or 270 would be under budget. Anybody use one?

http://japanesechefsknife.com/Hontan...html#Hontanren
    I have a 180mm deba from that line (although mine may be blue super instead of 2) and it's very well made and a beast of a knife. If the gyuto is made with the same standards I'd expect it to be quite the draft horse.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded