Quantcast
looking for an exceptional "work horse" knife - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: looking for an exceptional "work horse" knife

I have one. Draft horse is a good metaphor. Steel is very good. Retention is what you'd expect. It's solid and you can be a bit rough with it without worrying about it. The iron sides are very reactive.

I agree about White #2 not being a great choice for a workhorse, that's why I don't use any knives with that steel any more, I wasn't impressed by the edge retention at all. I'd go for a Zakuri probably, they're great value and can take a beating, the edge retention is great with the AS anyways, haven't used the others

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    The answer is a Gengetsu. In semi stainless.
    I just brought 240mm semi stainless Gengetsu a week ago, I like it a lot....nice weight, thin behind the edge, no food reactive, easy to take care!! to me, Gengetsu is nice all-around gyuto!! However, if I want to cut 5 lbs. of hard root vegetablele. I'll reach my work-horse Watanabe pro gyuto not Gengetsu. Watanabe gyuto is more hefty/sturdy & blue steel hold the edge very well. IMO, Watanabe' extra weight/ sturdy blade has bette performance than Gengetsu when doing heavy/tough job!
    top:Gengetsu, bottom:Watanabe
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Semi stainless Gengetsu: $390 USD. Kato: $760 USD. Not really the same budget ballpark.
    Point taken. I would go Kochi then.

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    Point taken. I would go Kochi then.
    in this case, I agree with JohnnyChance....my vote goes to Semi-stainless Gengetsu. both Kochi & Gengetsu are great cutter; however, Semi-stainless Gengetsu has better edge retention than Kochi V2!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

So many good choices here. After looking at the watanabe prices on their website, they seem to fit the bill.

Well, dont forget about the blue steel kochis.better retention than v2. We never seem to hear too much about them.

dam i got too excited (received income tax money) and pulled the trigger on the masamoto ks bought it last night on JCK, i wish i waited one extra day to see the negatives of white #2 none the less i think i will still enjoy my purchase

if im not satisfied with this knife as my daily go- to at work i think the next one i will try will e a gengetsu or watanabe

Semi stainless Gengetsu: $390 USD. Kato: $760 USD. Not really the same budget ballpark.
    For 240mm Kato should be about 580, 600 top. 760 probably computed with 25% VAT added which is only applicable to EU.

If you are not happy with KS and want to get a new knife, consider a Heiji carbon. Buying direct is pretty reasonable at 26250 JPY for 240mm gyuto. Given current JPY weakness, it is well withthin your budget. But there is a wait time of about a couple of months at least. You can also get Heiji Semi Stainless for a similar price too.

You will never have trouble moving a KS here.