Got bored so I....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdmalak

Reaction score
Decided to re-handle my super cheap paring knife. The handle was broken for some time and numerous attempts to fix it had failed so I grabbed a scrap piece of wood I had and went at it. I used Amboyna Burl and solid brass rod for the pins. The handle still needs another couple coats of Tung Oil and some finish sanding but you get the idea. There is one little piece missing on one side. It will be filled shortly.

I really like how it turned out and it's a better handle then this blade deserves but I had a great time with this little project. Just a note that other than a drill there were absolutely no power tools used on this project at all. I hope you all enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed the project.

IMG_20130416_104630_zpscd737426.jpg

IMG_1317_zps04d60caf.jpg

IMG_1316_zps47e03d06.jpg

Nice work! Now that you know how to do it you can try on a nice knife. :)

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I'll have to try a wa handle next maybe. The only "nice" knives I have are wa handles.

Okay, so I'll ask - how did you cut and shape the Amboyna without power tools? Nice job by the way.

I have one kicking around with loose scales. I was thinking of doing the same thing - talk about gilding the lily. :lol2:

Yeah it's kind of overkill but I like this knife a lot more now. It has moved to my mag rack of nice knives.

Nice job!

I have a few projects that are going to be started (hopefully) this week. Yay for fun!

Thanks Tom. I hope one day I can afford a nice knife from your site. Still loving the soap though!

That looks awesome!! A little inspiration for those of us without a shop/garage or power tools!!

Chris

It takes a little longer but it's totally possible.

Latest posts

Back