Anyone (Germans?) heard of / use knives by Hohenmoorer Messermanufaktur?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin0505

Founding Member
Reaction score
Weird looking knifes, I have no idea of the performance / function, but I like the aesthetic.
Looks like a genetic byproduct of Kramer and Masamoto in blade shape, but with some definite Carter-esque rustic charm sprinkled in and the "coffin" handles remind me of some of the retro / wa fusion ideas that were kicked around for the Pierre/Lefty/Lamnson collaboration. And he's German and wears a cool vest. Anyone have more info on him? Used one of this knives?
549982_564729333567920_113098009_n.jpg

621246_510512322322955_627199293_o.jpg

291666_523630477677806_1106706507_o.jpg

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hohenmoorer-Messermanufaktur/504188866288634

Retail site:
http://www.messerkontor.eu/KOCHMESSER-FIRMEN/Hohenmoorer-Messer-Manufakur:::3_942.html

291666_523630477677806_1106706507_o.jpg

Cool logo, love the size of the cutting board in the last picture and those weird blue spots near the tang on some of the knives. Wonder what they are. I don't see Masamoto influence in this knife.

i havent tried one of his knives yet, but uli hennicke is a reputable forger and also moderator in the german knife forums.

The blue marks are temper colours from softening the tangs post heat treat. I've tried to keep them before but not managed to keep it looking good, ends up being scratched an messy and then patina takes over

The blue marks are temper colours from softening the tangs post heat treat. I've tried to keep them before but not managed to keep it looking good, ends up being scratched an messy and then patina takes over

What's the attraction of it? Is this a new type of "hamon"?

Now, I want to try one of these! I'm assuming the price is in Euros?

Aesthetically it looks like a peacock feather,

640px-Tempering_colors_in_steel.jpg

practically softening up to the juncture with the handle will reduce any brittleness reducing the chance of snapping at this point, and makes it easy to drill holes for handle pins.

I don't really believe in differentially treating a kitchen knife, and this falls under the same vein. It looks awesome, but really? I don't often hack a things with my kitchen knives.

People are an odd bunch though, I sharpened a knife for a relative and they proceeded to "test" the sharpness by seeing how deep it stick into the corner of their chopping board, like it was a comp cutter.

If you're used to seeing big thick bolstered full tang with triple rivets because they're stronger it's probably easier to answer the strength question from customers as "we go through xyz process to ensure strength and resilience" than "actually metal is pretty strong and if you use it how it's intended you don't need to believe the web of lies sold by marketeers over the years".

Yeah, I know the Hohenmoorer Knives from a local retailer! The producer is named Uli Hennicke and does also work for Nesmuk Knives (which I own). I just did some research and found out that their knives are available in three different qualities: single steal, 3 layer steal and damast (240 layer steal). As usual with handcrafted damast knives, they are f***ing expensive (maybe one day ;) The weirdest product they offer is surely a set of barbecue tongs and fork for 5000 (!) Euros, which should be around 6000 dollars: http://www.hohenmoorer-shop.de/produkt/grillbesteck-damast/ (the site is in German, but the picture speaks probably for itself). The site also has videos of the knives which might be interesting to you Americans as I guess the company does not have a worldwide distribution network (they seem quite small). If someone wants to have one, I would be happy to deliver it to you if you pay for my flight ;)

Back