Quantcast
Gallery - Hiromoto AS... Full Spa Treatment - Page 17
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Gallery - Hiromoto AS... Full Spa Treatment

Here's a 270mm Hiromoto AS gyuto that's been thinned & etched.

Dave, I love my knife. I really got to play around with it yesterday and there was a night and day difference from when it left here to when I got it back. The handle is super comfortable, I love it! Curt can't stay away from it either, he reaches for it whenever he needs to cut something. I asked him why he didn't use his normal knives and he said, "none of the other knives look this bad ass" lol.

Is there anything special I need to do to it now that's it's been thinned and etched? Any special care for the handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    Dave, I love my knife. I really got to play around with it yesterday and there was a night and day difference from when it left here to when I got it back. The handle is super comfortable, I love it! Curt can't stay away from it either, he reaches for it whenever he needs to cut something. I asked him why he didn't use his normal knives and he said, "none of the other knives look this bad ass" lol.

Is there anything special I need to do to it now that's it's been thinned and etched? Any special care for the handle?

Sounds like Curt has come over to the dark side.

For blade care, I would wash with a soft sponge & regular dish detergent vs say a coarse scrubbie or some chemical abrasive like BarKeepers Friend so that you don't scrub away the etching or scratch the cladding. For sharpening - go slow to avoid wobbling - you'll kick your own ass if you scuff the blade. Otherwise just treat it as you would any other carbon knife when using.

For handle care, you have ironwood which is not stabilized or sealed by a polymerizing oil so you may want to periodically re-oil. To oil your handle use boardwax (mineral oil/beeswax) or something like Howard's Feed 'n Wax Liquid. Think of your ironwood handle like a cutting board and treat it as needed.

It's really great to hear that you're enjoying the knife again.

Here's a 270mm Hiromoto AS Gyuto that's been thinned, etched, & has a new custom redwood handle installed.

You installed hellwood Dave.... Really?!?!?!?

Great looking piece as always

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    You installed hellwood Dave.... Really?!?!?!?

Great looking piece as always

Yeah but it's the last full tang I do in redwood.

Thanks for the kind words.

You did my honesuki in redwood back in the day! As always this looks great!
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Yeah but it's the last full tang I do in redwood.

Thanks for the kind words.
    I can see why in that piece, already looks a little spongy, but I have also seen very dense and even old growth redwood that should be easier to work with.

Stefan

These all look great. Can anyone give me a general idea of how long the turn around time is for Dave's service these days?

Here's a 190mm Hiromoto AS Santoku that's been thinned/etched & a new AZ Ironwood handle installed.