Thread: For Sale - 240mm Martell Yo-Gyuto CPM-154

For Sale - 240mm Martell Yo-Gyuto CPM-154

Stats

Length - 240mm

Height (at heel) - 55mm

Steel - CPM-154 (powdered stainless)

Hardness - Rc61-62

Handle Style - Western

Handle Materials - Dyed Spalted Maple Burl, nickel silver bolster (soldered!), nickel silver/G10 spacers, with a mosaic pin

The dyed maple used is flat out crazy looking and that's mostly because it's spalted (look it up) and with this comes a less stable wood that has some surface imperfections. I don't expect any issues with this handle because it was stabilized by K&G but being what it is (spalted wood) you will want to consider this factor before purchase. Also, the handle is slightly thinner in width than I normally make , please see pictures below.

Nickel silver bolster is soldered on for a solid fit with a clean look. I found that it's not as easy to solder to stainless as it is carbon steels. This gave me some fits but in the end it got done and I'm happy for having pressed forward when I wanted to turn back.

This steel, being new to me, gave me a hard time in getting it finished to my normal levels, and to be truthful, it still has some wispy lines that I'd have preferred to rid it off but just couldn't.

The blade profile is very much my own yet this one is done more towards what I'd call a "rocker", vs what I normally do that I call "flat n fast". The difference is super slight but I want you to know what you're getting.

*Because of this being my first knife completed in this steel, and taking into consideration the above issues I noted that came as a result if this as well as the wood choice, I'm going to call this one a practice knife (a 2nd) and sell it "as is".

Price - $525
    (shipping included to USA - international to pay actual costs)
    *Note - this same knife will cost about $100 more in the near future.

If you're interested in purchasing this knife please contact via PM or email along with your Paypal email address (for the invoice). If international, please specify country.

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010008.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	571.7 KB 
ID:	29380   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010010.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	629.8 KB 
ID:	29381  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010012.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	452.5 KB 
ID:	29382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010015.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	671.7 KB 
ID:	29383  

Name:	P1010016.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	564.5 KB 
ID:	29384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010019.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	464.6 KB 
ID:	29385  

Name:	P1010026.JPG 
Views:	139 
Size:	459.9 KB 
ID:	29386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010027.JPG 
Views:	138 
Size:	542.5 KB 
ID:	29387  

Here's a picture I snapped just before I started grinding on this knife...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010005.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	334.2 KB 
ID:	29388  

That's what I will want from you if I ever win the lottery.... Nice work!

Stefan

I really, REALLY Like the look of this one, Dave! You've outdone yourself once again!

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    That's what I will want from you if I ever win the lottery.... Nice work!

Stefan

I thought that you'd want a 270mm?

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    I really, REALLY Like the look of this one, Dave! You've outdone yourself once again!

Thanks Marc

So here we go. Maybe this is the right place to do this, maybe it's not. Haven't a clue but undoubtedly you'll let me know.

I purchased this knife. I also purchased a Martell gyuto off of BST back in 2013(?) from a respected member here. Dave was kind enough to offer a quick fix up on the knife so it was sent to him first. I never saw it, except in pictures. Dave informed us that there were issues and supplied pics to show it. He was a bit at odds with how to proceed but in the end he generously offered to replace the knife. He didn't want an inferior knife with his maker's mark out in the wild. This was more than what the seller and I had anticipated, and obviously we thought this was pretty nice.

There's more to the story, but it doesn't really bare much meaning here. The only real negative aspect of it is Dave is very busy and we're still waiting on the replacement. But we really don't have much to complain about.

(Disclaimer: I'm not going to post our PM exchanges as I believe they are called Private for many reasons. That's not something I'd do without consent first at least. So I'll just be sharing the gist of our correspondence)

Enter today- I have had funds set aside in paypal, away from the wife's view, for a knife. I'll admit it, I'm a bit of a junky when it comes to buying knives. So I keep spare change set aside for a knife that just happens to really catch my "wants". Yes, I have issues. One of which is my flooded basement. But an addict will always be an addict. And there will always be that "rainy day" that needs funding.

I've been wanting a Martell gyuto for a while, and there's really no way of telling when I'd get the replacement so I thought I'd pick this one up. It's his first stab at stainless, I believe? But it looks cool. I see his warnings as to why it's sold as a "second", but the pics look solid so I hit him up and send funds. After all, my experience with Dave as a customer has been pretty stellar, and he's made it clear to me that he doe's not want an inferior product out there with his name on it. Plus I had the chance to use another "second quality" knife which he sold in December of last year, the one with an all black buffalo horn handle. I thought he was crazy to call that one a "second".

Delivery was more than quick and I received it Monday (I have my knives delivered to work). I open it up and see that the handle is more than just "slightly thinner in width than I normally make". I take it out and brunoise a carrot real quick. Cuts like a dream, like I expected. I hit Dave up that evening to let him now I got the knife and I thought the handle was pretty small.
    I told Dave I'll give the knife more time to see if it grows on me, and I did just that. Come Tuesday evening I shot Dave a PM asking him what the options were if I did indeed find the handle too small. I told him that the knife was starting to grow on me, and even asked about maybe getting a Carter re-handled just so I could have one of his famous handles the way they are intended to be.

I believe this is where the fall out started. He replied and seemed kind of upset, then I got upset and replied. Basically my response boils down to "as is" can imply many things. Dave says his sell thread clearly states no returns. I believe otherwise. At this point I never actually asked for a refund (full or partial), I only wanted to explore options.

Today I posted in a thread about another maker. Dave posted insults in response (towards me). He also told me to post in his sub forum (I believe he means here?), and to quote "have your day in the court of public opinion". So I'm doing just that.

I'm not going to throw about insults here, or at least make a darn good effort at it, and I'm hoping Dave can give a solid shot at this as well. I get why he got upset, as the post I left in the other thread just happened to fall under his most recent post in the same thread. Bad timing. I typed, then took a call, then hit submit. His post wasn't even there when I hit the post button. But that doesn't really matter. What matters here is basically the public opinion on whether Dave should offer a refund or return/exchange. Please keep in mind that I have yet to ask for either. And at this point the knife has indeed kind of grown on me. But now it's riddled with bad juju, and I don't want to think about this mess every freaking time I use it. Yep, I suppose I could just sell it and wash my hands of everything. But when someone stoops to insulting me in public, I much rather work it out. Hopefully.

So now the facts:

The handle where in meets the metal bolster/ferrule is about 15mm thick.
    The thickest part of the handle is about 18mm.
    The handle is about 21mm tall at the bolster
    The handle is about 25.5mm in the middle.
    I don't own calipers, so I use a tape and an app that has been on point thus far.
    I'm tall and lanky, and I have long lanky fingers on hands that easily palm a basketball. So what might not seem small to some will often seem small to me.

I'll also add that what Dave and I consider to be "clear" may differ. I think details like measurements and pictures could have been supplied, in order to be clear. I also think that Dave should have stated "no return, no refund". Again, just to be clear. I think from a business standpoint he chose not to state this as it may have not sold as quickly as he wanted. I can totally understand that thought.

Maybe I'm wrong here. Obviously i don't think so, but could possibly be swayed into thinking otherwise.

When you buy "as-is" then return/refund is thrown out the window. That's like buying a used car "as-is" then trying to return it to the seller because your butt don't fit well in the seats.