Quantcast
Looking for High end Chinese Cleaver - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for High end Chinese Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    i vote for the ashi claever. i own one in white #2 and dont think it could be any better except for beeing stainless. i guess you can order it in any size and weight you like.
    where can i order this?

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    I am getting one like this made at the moment: sugimoto #7 size in semi stainless with octagonal handle and saya.

who are you getting this made through?

Bluewayjapan on ebay....but they're out of stock at the moment. They're pretty inexpensive too. $260ish

i got mine through the ashi website, and as far as i know he takes all custom orders.

Quote Originally Posted by miketayl0r View Post
    who are you getting this made through?
    Hi Mike,

I have been getting Heiji knives direct from Nakayaheiji. Because of living in Australia, it doesn't make much sense to go via Jon (and pay for too many shipping cost) as much as I'd love to support him.

Thank you everyone!! You have been more than helpful with this itch of mine

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    i got mine through the ashi website, and as far as i know he takes all custom orders.
    Hi I custom made mine for a very light on
    Custom 1
    Height 70mm
    Length 210mm

Main parameter: 240 Grams

Custom 2
    Height 70mm
    Length 180mm

Weight 220Grams

My main consideration is that it shld not be heavier ( a tad is OK) than a German chef knife.

Both Handles: Western handle
    Both: stainless steel. Swedish steel

Have fun and stay sharp....

D

Its pretty sweet that they can make cleavers that light!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    Most cleavers are in the 220-225mm length, including the Geshhin Ginga. If you are willing to go larger then 210mm, then I'd suggest either the Tadatsuna Inox or the Mizuno Swedish Stainless. The Hattori Forum cleaver at 215mm is another good choice. It is very thin behind the edge. Plus it has one of the best handles.

A common design on Chinese cleavers, is a spindle, where it is thick at the middle and tapers down to the the heel. The taper is important, it allows the fingers to rest comfortably on the handle. The short rectangle style handle that Sugimoto uses, is also very comfortable. The style seen on most cleavers is usable, such as the Tadatsuna and the Mizuno work but are not overly comfortable. Wa handles, I find to be too long for a comfortable handle. It does work, but it would be my last choice.

Except for the Hattori forum cleaver, all high cleavers have a rough finish. It makes a huge difference to have them cleaned up or given the so called spa treatment. Andy777 knows cleavers inside and out. He redid a Mizuno carbon cleaver, and it was like getting a whole new knife.

Jay
    I'd say i have to agree with Jay, the shorter regular handles are very comfortable, since 1/2 your hand is already on the blade when "peace gripping". I also own a Ashi in white #2 its crazy thin and will slice and dice anything in your way.

Another choice that might fit the criteria is a Tojiro pro cleaver. good fit and finish in VG10. You can get them via blueway.
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/786982/