Looking for High end Chinese Cleaver

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miketayl0r

Reaction score
I have made my rounds to every site known to me worth checking out(JKI,CKTG,JCK,EE,Toshi,Aframes,Blueway,JNS,JWW,Jpan-tool) but haven't been able to uncover anything available that I like. If theres anywhere i missed, please let me know.

would really like the YOSHIKANE Chinese Cleaver 210mm Tamamoku Wood Pattern V2 Blade on aframes but its currently sold out, or the ginga on JKI wa which is also sold out.

Looking for:
-Wa-Handled
-210mm in length and fairly thin
-stainless or semi if at all possible but carbon works aswell
-not iron clad or KU finished

thanks and would appreciate any help,
Mike

If i were you i would wait for the gesshin ginga wa cleaver restock. Blueway is supposed to get some ashi cleavers soon in swedish stainless, not sure if theyll have wa handles though. There doesn't seem to be alot of wa handle cleavers in production, you might want to consider placing a special order with a maker.

Most cleavers are in the 220-225mm length, including the Geshhin Ginga. If you are willing to go larger then 210mm, then I'd suggest either the Tadatsuna Inox or the Mizuno Swedish Stainless. The Hattori Forum cleaver at 215mm is another good choice. It is very thin behind the edge. Plus it has one of the best handles.

A common design on Chinese cleavers, is a spindle, where it is thick at the middle and tapers down to the the heel. The taper is important, it allows the fingers to rest comfortably on the handle. The short rectangle style handle that Sugimoto uses, is also very comfortable. The style seen on most cleavers is usable, such as the Tadatsuna and the Mizuno work but are not overly comfortable. Wa handles, I find to be too long for a comfortable handle. It does work, but it would be my last choice.

Except for the Hattori forum cleaver, all high cleavers have a rough finish. It makes a huge difference to have them cleaned up or given the so called spa treatment. Andy777 knows cleavers inside and out. He redid a Mizuno carbon cleaver, and it was like getting a whole new knife.

Jay

thank you labor and jay for your imput! the tadatsuna Inox has def caught my eye at aframes. I prefer wa due to the fact i can customize the handle to my liking. If i could find someone willing to tackle a western cleaver handle for me and round the spine and choil, I think I would change my handle preference. Any takers?

Most cleavers are in the 220-225mm length, including the Geshhin Ginga. If you are willing to go larger then 210mm, then I'd suggest either the Tadatsuna Inox or the Mizuno Swedish Stainless.

Jay

You can´t go wrong with any of those two cleavers. Both are really amazing. If I could only have one only cleaver I´d choose one of those for sure (I can´t speak of the Ashi or the Ginga cleavers although I suppose they are excellent as well).

I haven´t seen many cleavers under 22 cms so I guess it won´t be easy for you to find shorter high ends cleavers unless you go custom.

Good luck with your search

Regards

i vote for the ashi claever. i own one in white #2 and dont think it could be any better except for beeing stainless. i guess you can order it in any size and weight you like.

Have you used a cleaver before? I not, I'd suggest a cheapo Asian market one or a CCK first. Cleavers are not for everyone and it would suck to spend that much on something that won't get used

Jaybett, what kind of steel is in the tad inox, swedish stainless or something similar? I would also like to add that gesshin ginga cleavers have nice fit&finish. The spines and choils were infact nicely rounded and the rosewood was comfortable although a little on the heavy side.

I am getting one like this made at the moment: sugimoto #7 size in semi stainless with octagonal handle and saya.

heijisschuka.jpg

Have you used a cleaver before? I not, I'd suggest a cheapo Asian market one or a CCK first. Cleavers are not for everyone and it would suck to spend that much on something that won't get used

I've been rotating my cck with my shige and yoshi in a professional kitchen 70+ hours a week for the past year and a half. That baby has done some work.. time for an upgrade.

i vote for the ashi claever. i own one in white #2 and dont think it could be any better except for beeing stainless. i guess you can order it in any size and weight you like.

where can i order this?

i got mine through the ashi website, and as far as i know he takes all custom orders.

who are you getting this made through?

Hi Mike,

I have been getting Heiji knives direct from Nakayaheiji. Because of living in Australia, it doesn't make much sense to go via Jon (and pay for too many shipping cost) as much as I'd love to support him.

Thank you everyone!! You have been more than helpful with this itch of mine :doublethumbsup:

i got mine through the ashi website, and as far as i know he takes all custom orders.

Hi I custom made mine for a very light on
Custom 1
Height 70mm
Length 210mm

Main parameter: 240 Grams

Custom 2
Height 70mm
Length 180mm

Weight 220Grams

My main consideration is that it shld not be heavier ( a tad is OK) than a German chef knife.

Both Handles: Western handle
Both: stainless steel. Swedish steel

Have fun and stay sharp....

D

Most cleavers are in the 220-225mm length, including the Geshhin Ginga. If you are willing to go larger then 210mm, then I'd suggest either the Tadatsuna Inox or the Mizuno Swedish Stainless. The Hattori Forum cleaver at 215mm is another good choice. It is very thin behind the edge. Plus it has one of the best handles.

A common design on Chinese cleavers, is a spindle, where it is thick at the middle and tapers down to the the heel. The taper is important, it allows the fingers to rest comfortably on the handle. The short rectangle style handle that Sugimoto uses, is also very comfortable. The style seen on most cleavers is usable, such as the Tadatsuna and the Mizuno work but are not overly comfortable. Wa handles, I find to be too long for a comfortable handle. It does work, but it would be my last choice.

Except for the Hattori forum cleaver, all high cleavers have a rough finish. It makes a huge difference to have them cleaned up or given the so called spa treatment. Andy777 knows cleavers inside and out. He redid a Mizuno carbon cleaver, and it was like getting a whole new knife.

Jay

I'd say i have to agree with Jay, the shorter regular handles are very comfortable, since 1/2 your hand is already on the blade when "peace gripping". I also own a Ashi in white #2 its crazy thin and will slice and dice anything in your way.

Another choice that might fit the criteria is a Tojiro pro cleaver. good fit and finish in VG10. You can get them via blueway.
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/786982/

Its pretty sweet that they can make cleavers that light!

I wanted it to be a chef knife... a Chinese version that.s why my parameter is that the weight is no more than 240grams.

Another parameter that I insisted on was that the Balance Point is to be at choil area. The best that cld be done was abt half an inch infront of the choil... which is perfectly all right as that is where I wld be gripping it.

All other cleavers. the Balance point is more infront adn thus making it blade heavy . This is relevant to me as when I scoop up the food for transference, the weight distribution shld still be comfortable.

Simple pleasure in life... customising a knife that turns out to be a joy to use . I had lemons before... A few of my friends saw it, played with for a while and wanted one. IF they bug me enough and seriously adn genuinely desire one ( to be verified) ... I will order and make it a Christmas gift as it is an item that cannot be bought easily.

By teh way Sugimoto... "king of chinese chef's knife" in Japan,( I believe) with their 180mm long and shorther ( blade height), can't remember for now, carbon steel is off the shelf item. They started making in in their stainless version recently. But it is blade heavy. Short.. stubby handle is a love hate relationship with me. Sometimes I like it at times.. not so much...

come to think of it, I may ask them to lengthen it slightly so that it will not be so stubby and bring back the balance point a bit....

YOu have fun.

rgds
d

Yep I always use a pinch grip wt. cleavers.Round barrel handle for me anyway is the best.

I prefer wa due to the fact i can customize the handle to my liking. If i could find someone willing to tackle a western cleaver handle for me and round the spine and choil, I think I would change my handle preference. Any takers?
Dave is your man. He's rehandling my Tadatsuna cleaver.

Personally, I much prefer how western-handled cleavers look. Wa somehow seems out of place on a cleaver.

did you look on EE. here is one off their site.

83564_1_b.jpg

there are a couple of others also

For that price you could get a Hattori FH cleaver in VG10 that you can be confident has been heat-treated well.

I have made my rounds to every site known to me worth checking out(JKI,CKTG,JCK,EE,Toshi,Aframes,Blueway,JNS,JWW,Jpan-tool)

If it isnt any trouble for you please email these sites with their full name. I hope this isnt against the rules of this fourm.

Latest posts

Back