Dragon Wa-conversion advice needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinW

Reaction score
OK, so i picked up a Misono 240 dragon a while back. Eamon did the grinding and i have put a 1200 grit handpolish on it. All it needs is a handle.
I have a Keller handle that was destined for another knife, but it broke in transit. Stefan is now (another example of the outstanding vendors here) making me a new one and let's me use this if i can fix it.

Please look at the pics and tell me if the combo is too much (dragon and colourful handle)... If i remember its blackwood, red bakelite and red mammoth molar end cap. the flash has taken some of the colour out of the end cap, but it gives you an idea.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/Rob98765/Misono1_zpsa3efaa62.jpg
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k604/Rob98765/Misono2_zpsf7c5eb63.jpg

Thanks

ohhh, I think that looks great! I myself am contemplating a hidden tang handle for a dragon

Looks good to me. Oh, and the spacer is reconstituted stone - jasper in this case. Looks like this small
piece I had was overly brittle, one other handle broke at the spacer in my shop when I dropped it on the floor. But I wouldn't expect any issues once it is on the knife.

Stefan

Honestly I really don't like the white butt cap. It draws attention away from the business end.

Honestly I really don't like the white butt cap. It draws attention away from the business end.

That's mostly from the flash, the end cap is red and white mammoyh tooth and reapeats the color of the spacer, looks much darker in real life.

Stefan

I love the large red spacer that stands out & accentuate all black handle; however, red on white end cap just little too colorful for me!! my:2cents:

Looks 'mean'...I like it! Agree w/no chop, if they had a wa version, I'd buy one. Seems like a relatively inexpensive foray into swedish steel

Chris

Waking an old thread from the dead but since I started it in the first place...
3B1B5164-E102-4442-9FB4-F2C9061FD8E9.jpeg

several years ago I wa-converted a dragon gyuto. It now has a sister. I got an old (engraved dragon) suji 270 from BST and did the conversion by myself using hand tools.
It now sports an old school Stefan Keller handle from when he lived in HI.

Will be fun to use as a pair :)

Reading the original thread, I was skeptical about putting molar as an endcap. Did it hold up over the years?

I think butt joint with stone or metal will provide a future fix-it-up.

For metal, you can solder a pin. If it’s stone (I also do this with wood, especially rosewood ) I would make it at about 5/8” thick so you can run the hidden down from ferrule into it about 3/8”. You may get away without the extra pinning with non-oily woods, if you like a thin endcap

unfortunately, I learned the hard way ...

Back