Thread: if you had $1500...

Stainless damascus clad, high carbon core gyuto from Will

7 names
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Slowly working through the list

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Harner, extra tall, 270mm, preferable clipped tip. Not sure if the 1500 would cover it though. Or talk him into doing me a cleaver. Hmm... Now you got me thinking. Next time I see him I might have to talk to him, and bribe him with some f my beer.
    few months ago, Harner give me a quote for extra tall, thick spine (Nakiri-cleaver) with wa handle about $900~1000...
    for me, I want "DT 52100 Damascus with Rader's forged-integral handle & Marko's saya" or "Bill Burke blade with Rader's handle & Marko's saya" or "Tsukasa Hinoura Damascus with traditional Japanese Urushi/Makie handle+saya"
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Burke, Devin, Micheal, something with a feather pattern, maybe?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I asked myself that question a few years ago and ended up with an amazing knife from Rader at a price and wait that is probably a thing of the past...

I've been on the Hoss's and Bill's WL's for going on 2 years now and I doubt $1500 will cover what I have in mind from either of them.

I know your initial question was for 1 knife, but I don't think that I could think of a better value than splitting between the money between the 3 M's of Martell, Marko, and Mario. You might even have enough leftover to buy some food to cut up.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Thanks CClin. Might have to send an email tomorrow. His shop is less than 10 mins from me, so it would be convenient
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    few months ago, Harner give me a quote for extra tall, thick spine (Nakiri-cleaver) with wa handle about $900~1000...
    Glad i got in early...

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...n/IMG_9302.jpg

$1,500, and spend it all on one knife... Well, that is not enough for a DT or BB dammy knife, but should net you great gyuto or suji in monosteel or san mai. For something more artsy (Damascus + carving, etching, etc.), I'd go to Randy Haas, although I'm not sure if $1,500 gets you to a 240/ 270. As others have stated above, plenty of other great makers for far less then $1,500; frankly at that price point you are paying $750+ for bling. For me, I'd split the $1,500 between several of the custom makers and get a few non-dammy knives.

KS Honyaki 240 gyuto, for the perfect blade shape with added performance.
    -Matt

+ Reply to Thread