if you had $1500...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
if you had $1500 that you could only spend on a knife what would you buy and why would you buy it? very interested to hear the responses from you guys thanks!

to get the ones I really want, sadly I would need to keep saving. A rader, a DT.

Harner, extra tall, 270mm, preferable clipped tip. Not sure if the 1500 would cover it though. Or talk him into doing me a cleaver. Hmm... Now you got me thinking. Next time I see him I might have to talk to him, and bribe him with some f my beer.

Harner, extra tall, 270mm, preferable clipped tip. Not sure if the 1500 would cover it though. Or talk him into doing me a cleaver. Hmm... Now you got me thinking. Next time I see him I might have to talk to him, and bribe him with some f my beer.

You mean like this?

file_zps4f54345d.jpg

I could be wrong on the numbers but as far as I know $1500 would maybe cover 3 from Devin. 270 gyuto, 210 petty, 85mm paring all in monosteel. Mystery carbon on the gyuto and on the suji/petty and aeb-l on the paring knife.

You could get a couple Harners for that quid.

Personally, I don't know what I'd do. 6 names come to mind, though.

I am too cheap to spend that kind of cash on only one knife. And I probably wouldn't notice the difference between a $400 and a $1500 knife anyway. So, I'd get a decent 300mm yanagi, always liked the Watanabes but might let Jon talk me into alternatives. For the rest, i would hope to get 2 gyutos from some of the makers here on the forum, although I really would have problems to choose which makers I would give priority, they all look good in their own way.

Stefan

Hmm. Not much left that I want to get. Probably use that money to buy a few nice natural whetstones.

Slowly working through the list :knife::bliss:

few months ago, Harner give me a quote for extra tall, thick spine (Nakiri-cleaver) with wa handle about $900~1000...
for me, I want "DT 52100 Damascus with Rader's forged-integral handle & Marko's saya" or "Bill Burke blade with Rader's handle & Marko's saya" or "Tsukasa Hinoura Damascus with traditional Japanese Urushi/Makie handle+saya"

Burke, Devin, Micheal, something with a feather pattern, maybe?

I asked myself that question a few years ago and ended up with an amazing knife from Rader at a price and wait that is probably a thing of the past...

I've been on the Hoss's and Bill's WL's for going on 2 years now and I doubt $1500 will cover what I have in mind from either of them.

I know your initial question was for 1 knife, but I don't think that I could think of a better value than splitting between the money between the 3 M's of Martell, Marko, and Mario. You might even have enough leftover to buy some food to cut up.

Thanks CClin. Might have to send an email tomorrow. His shop is less than 10 mins from me, so it would be convenient

$1,500, and spend it all on one knife... Well, that is not enough for a DT or BB dammy knife, but should net you great gyuto or suji in monosteel or san mai. For something more artsy (Damascus + carving, etching, etc.), I'd go to Randy Haas, although I'm not sure if $1,500 gets you to a 240/ 270. As others have stated above, plenty of other great makers for far less then $1,500; frankly at that price point you are paying $750+ for bling. For me, I'd split the $1,500 between several of the custom makers and get a few non-dammy knives.

KS Honyaki 240 gyuto, for the perfect blade shape with added performance.

Gesshin Ginga 240 western honyaki gyuto w/white mycarta handle or gesshin hide 270 honyaki wa gyuto.

I'd probably have a long discussion with a customer maker about current collection and preferences...then tell them to surprise me.

Probably DT given my recent experience there....and a peek at some of his work in person.

i'd try to do some kind of full custom. konosuke g3 steel with DT heat treat, masamoto do the grind/profile, dave martell do the wa handle (treated cherry wood, mahogany ferrule)
250mm from heel to tip

So many custom makers here it would not be hard to do - well the choosing would be hard, but hey that's why they invented the quarter right? Heads 1 wins, tails 1 looses. Off the top of my head I can't see myself owning a $1500 knife although I own guitars and amps worth more than that. Hmmm . . . I'll have to rethink my priorities I guess - :lol2:

Thanks CClin. Might have to send an email tomorrow. His shop is less than 10 mins from me, so it would be convenient

If I lived ten minutes from Butch, I'd be there every day, just like that annoying neighbor kid who decides to crawl under your car on the passenger side, when you're underneath it on the driver's side reattaching a mount, in turn scaring the total crap out of you, causing you to drop a damned torque wrench on your face!

Gesshin Ginga 240 western honyaki gyuto w/white mycarta handle or gesshin hide 270 honyaki wa gyuto.

Hey those are my knives! (Minus the micarta handle). But yes, those would be 2 of my top choices! And a Burke or rader as my American picks.

Back