Liquid Nitrogen

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys get it and the necessary safety equipment and such? Dewars, etc??

contact your local gas/oxygen company, the ones that supply nitrous for soda fountains and the likes. They should have all you'll need!

Check with local farmers who breed cows to see if they have a tank they want to sell. You should be able to get one for ~$100 that way.

Yea any company that supplies beer gas and what not. I ordered my dewar from ebay a few years back. Also chef rubber carries them or testek in canada.

And please, please be careful when you use it. I don't remember the exact expansion ratio when liquid nitrogen becomes a gas, but it can readily displace oxygen in a confined area. An oxygen monitor is not a bad idea. It only takes a couple breaths in an oxygen deficient enviroment before you will pass out and die. Really.

A face shield, apron (not cloth--something that will shed liquid), and cryo gloves are also good. Eye protection under the faceshield is a good idea. Cover your skin--don't be barefoot or wear shorts.

And if you can't resist the urge to dunk something in LN2 and then whack it with a hammer to see it shatter, use eye protection. And remember when the stuff melts it can make a royal mess and you will have a devil of a time finding all the remnants. (Chewing gum dipped in LN2 & shattered is a b1tch to clean up. Trust me on this one.)

Oh, and you don't want pockets in the apron or cuffs on your pants--you don't want something that will trap the liquid against your body if there's a spill. Don't wear fabric shoes or laceup shoes--again, you don't want the liquid to get up against you and be trapped.

And please, please be careful when you use it. I don't remember the exact expansion ratio when liquid nitrogen becomes a gas, but it can readily displace oxygen in a confined area.

Rule of thumb: when a liquid becomes a gas, expect a 1,000X increase in volume. Not exact, just a rule of thumb.

Liquid Nitrogen is fun.
Portable dewars are expensive and you loose a liter a day from evaporation.
It could be more economical to get a tank (180 liter) you will loose less, and then transfer in smaller dewar for your needs.

Back