Quantcast
Wa-gyuto: Suisin Inox or Masamoto KS ?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wa-gyuto: Suisin Inox or Masamoto KS ?

Wa-gyuto: Suisin Inox or Masamoto KS ?

Suisin inox & masamoto ks (wa-gyuto), which one do you choose? Love both of them, 2 different profile, any suggestion? pls help...

having no experience with either of the 2 knives, i would ALWAYS go for the KS...

maybe others can explain why they would recommend one or the other. for me its just the fact that the KS is a knife that has that certain attraction, and the suisin simply doesn't have that (for me)... not to mention that basically everyone in this forum seems to love the KS.

Stainless vs carbon comes to mind...having experience with both.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Suisin has classic sakai type profile; very, very thin. Superb f&f. KS has that sleek French profile and a more pronounced grind. The f&f varies.

I think they're a great complimentary duo. Get both...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post

+1
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post

LOL, to broke to get those both.

I don't think Suisin makes anything that isn't top notch and I've seen many of them. Suisin honyaki can have excellent edge retention and sharpness, while not carbon steel, is pretty damn good. The profile is on the curvaceous side of average for a gyuto. It's thin and surprisingly light, esp 240 size. The cutting edge length runs short based on the method of measurment. Variation between examples is minimal. I have less experience with Masamotos, in general but I have seen several KS models. They can be very nice knives but variation is significant with regard to grind quality, thickness and profile, a couple of those I've seen are downright crap. I would buy a Masamoto honyaki but I would never recommend a KS unless it came with a sparkling return policy. As far as the steel is concerned, it is very run-of-the-mill carbon steel: decent retention, excellent edge taking and fairly tough. These run a bit long.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I don't think Suisin makes anything that isn't top notch and I've seen many of them. Suisin honyaki can have excellent edge retention and sharpness, while not carbon steel, is pretty damn good. The profile is on the curvaceous side of average for a gyuto. It's thin and surprisingly light, esp 240 size. The cutting edge length runs short based on the method of measurment. Variation between examples is minimal. I have less experience with Masamotos, in general but I have seen several KS models. They can be very nice knives but variation is significant with regard to grind quality, thickness and profile, a couple of those I've seen are downright crap. I would buy a Masamoto honyaki but I would never recommend a KS unless it came with a sparkling return policy. As far as the steel is concerned, it is very run-of-the-mill carbon steel: decent retention, excellent edge taking and fairly tough. These run a bit long.
    Thanks, that's a good advice. It's help.

Anybody else??

Engorged Member
    +1 to what TK said. The Suisin is a very consistently good Japanese knife experience.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

KS. Better (best ) profile, thin enough, and most importantly, it's carbon.

edge retention isn't amazing, but let's not pretend that the Suisin's is noticeably better, or even definitely better at all. the Masamoto is a higher HRC.

and the fact that the kanji on the Suisins aren't etched or engraved is really off putting for such an expensive knife.
    -Matt

+ Reply to Thread