Quantcast
Fujiwara Maboroshi no Meito Gyuto opinions - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujiwara Maboroshi no Meito Gyuto opinions

Sponsors
    a little vendor stress, and not trying to start an arguement... i just wanted to make the process a bit more transparent so people have a change to understand why things are the way they are sometimes. On the use of "ripped off", not trying to put words in your mouth... sorry.

However, just because one vendor decides to lower a price (for whatever reason) doesnt mean that its a good idea for others to do the same. For example, this may effect the makers brand negatively, may not be a fair price, etc.

On the cost of shipping, very rarely do end users pay customs fees or insurance for their shipments, despite legal requirements to do so... however, vendors like me are responsible for this and it does add to the cost of the goods.

Outside of that, i agree its a good idea to look around and see whats going on with prices. At the same time, i know i have a different pricing philosophy than many other people i know, so it doesnt always line up the same way. For example, i weight 3 separate things equally in my decision making...
    1. Having a fair price for the customer ('cause no one likes being ripped off )
    2. Having a fair price for me (gotta make a living, right?)
    3. Having a fair price so i can pay the makers a fair wage for their work (makes a lot of sense when you think about it, but people rarely consider it)

Anyways, lets get back to the conversation here without further ado...

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Jon isn't the kind of guy to go spouting off to make himself or his prices seem good. He's 100% right. The exchange rate can really affect final prices, and depending on when you got the stock....

In fact, I'm currently trying to make something work with a maker who I consider one of the best in the business, but the damn red tape is tough to break through.
    Tom, you'll always be master of the tease.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I had a 195mm(I think) western for quite some time. I ended up selling it to Tk. I really loved and cherished this knife for a long time. It really has a "handmade" feel, but with that you do get some cosmetic/comfort issues. If I had the chance to get a 240 or 270 for a decent price, I'd be all over it.
    I would love to see one of these in a rehandle, and your koa idea sounds awesome.
    If you got a chance to handle one, it might make the decision a little bit easier.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

a little vendor stress, and not trying to start an arguement... i just wanted to make the process a bit more transparent so people have a change to understand why things are the way they are sometimes. On the use of "ripped off", not trying to put words in your mouth... sorry.

However, just because one vendor decides to lower a price (for whatever reason) doesnt mean that its a good idea for others to do the same. For example, this may effect the makers brand negatively, may not be a fair price, etc.

On the cost of shipping, very rarely do end users pay customs fees or insurance for their shipments, despite legal requirements to do so... however, vendors like me are responsible for this and it does add to the cost of the goods.

Outside of that, i agree its a good idea to look around and see whats going on with prices. At the same time, i know i have a different pricing philosophy than many other people i know, so it doesnt always line up the same way. For example, i weight 3 separate things equally in my decision making...
    1. Having a fair price for the customer ('cause no one likes being ripped off )
    2. Having a fair price for me (gotta make a living, right?)
    3. Having a fair price so i can pay the makers a fair wage for their work (makes a lot of sense when you think about it, but people rarely consider it)

Anyways, lets get back to the conversation here without further ado...
    after being in all 3 sides of this, as a former business owner, a consumer, and a person who has had his hand in making things for a living.... i understand where you're coming from and respect what you have to say.

To be honest Jon( but not just him) is a little more money sometimes but definitely you get peice of mind when buying from him and the personal touch of a smaller vendor. I bought a ks and got it from japanesechefknife. Not the cheapest for that knife but was able to clearly communicate what I want and had peice of mind knowing it would be as close as possible down to the amount of color on the marble fuerrle.

I understand Jon completely coming from a retail background. The level of service Jon provides does not come free nor should it. If you want his expertise, his hand picked selection, and his instructional help, of course there is a cost involved as time is money. I don't know of any other vendors out there that offer to set up a skype video with me and teach me in real time how to sharpen my new yanagiba. That is why Jon is the best! Too many consumers have lost touch with what a merchant is, ( someone trying to make a living) and simply focus on the end result being who has it cheapest. To be honest, it is not entirely our fault as consumers, but rather those of us who have fell victim to the business strategies of certain companies.

What they don't realize is that if the majority keeps going down this road and that majority continues to increase, then we'll be left with nothing but Wal-Mart's and Applebee's and that is not the world I want to live in. I realize this is an extreme example but I feel it helps convey the point I am trying to make.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Sponsors
    Hey guys... I really wasn't trying to make this about me, but rather encouraging people to consider the "why?" When thinking about pricing instead of automatically assuming that a vendor is doing a bad job because his/her price is different. I'm also not saying people shouldn't consider price as a factor... I just wish people would take a few seconds to think about it first.

Back to the knives, the steel is phenomenal.

Hah, well, to say the least, Jon has been fantastic in answering my questions. I've decided to back away from the fuji due to the fit and finish issues that i've learned about. I'm looking at the gingestu yo gyuto, and also waiting to hear back from Marko on a possible custom gyuto in AEB-L. I'm guessing the money invested in a rehandle of the gingetsu may bring it close to a custom price. Appreciate everyones opinions on the fuji, but I really do want something with good F&F even though it is "rustic"
    JP

Heiji, and in particular Gesshin Heiji.

+ Reply to Thread