Quantcast
WTB - Workhorse Gyuto 240 or 270 - Suggestions or Offers? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB - Workhorse Gyuto 240 or 270 - Suggestions or Offers?

I used the takeda for everything. I guess I think of a workhorse as something that doesn't hav to be swapped in or out depending on what your cutting. My takeda was an all around great prep knife that was a killer on veg prep never chipped. For me it was a real beater.

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) the Kochi...I owned a V2 w/ kurouchi finish and it was a spectacular knife.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

i just got a dt itk 270 and that is exactly that, workhorse gyuto, cuts like a dream! and everything about it has been smoothed over to the last detail. wonderful knife.

So many glorious options. Kochi sounds like a great one. Also, a plus - it is available! Anyone own the Migaki? Sounds like most have the V2/Kurouchi. Also, how blade heavy do these tend to be from your experience? Balance point? I owe Jon a call at JKI but am still gathering info on other options.

W/R/T Devin - I know they are great. I used the 240 from Dave (WildBoar) and adored it. Still among my favorite cutting experiences. Definitely still interested in one of these, but prefer a 270, and frankly, everyone on here who has em, loves em! I PM'd Devin re: customs, and do want to go down that road, even if just to see whether I am crazy for considering. I will own a DT at some point, this much I know.

Gesshin Ajikataya 240 is sold out. Good for Jon, sad for me. Considering whether worth the try to custom order a 270. I read somewhere though that White #2 isn't ideal for a workhorse knife in that it doesn't hold edges for long and requires more frequent care. Perhaps that eliminates this one.

Geshsin Hide White #2 - same potential issue as mentioned above. Perhaps the much more expensive Ginsanko 240?

Sounds like lots of love for Takeda - need to look into that as well.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Also - thanks so far for the offers - nothing has yet worked out, but I am open to ideas!

re: gesshin hide ginsanko
    looks to be a gesshin version of tanaka ginsanko gyuto? i have a tanaka 270 and it's a fat bastard, but i suspect after some heavy blade work and a rehandle it's going to be badass. the profile is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    re: gesshin hide ginsanko
    looks to be a gesshin version of tanaka ginsanko gyuto? i have a tanaka 270 and it's a fat bastard, but i suspect after some heavy blade work and a rehandle it's going to be badass. the profile is outstanding.
    Very different from tanaka... Geometry, profile, grind, heat treatment, and fit and finish

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    Very different from tanaka... Geometry, profile, grind, heat treatment, and fit and finish
    But apart from that exactly the same..... Right?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Exactly!!!

What about one of the TC Blades that Son had? I just used mine (alongside a Takeda and ZKramer, for comparison purposes), and it's a tough and fun knife!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I actually considered but they were single bevels if I recall. Looking for Double Bevel. Still a newbie sharpener!