• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Workhorse Gyuto 240 or 270 - Suggestions or Offers?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skiajl6297

Reaction score
After gathering some unexpected PayPal funds and selling my Blazen, I am interested in a new knife. I am thrilled with my Rodrigue laser, and am now interested in a beefier workhorse to complement it. My must-haves:
240 or 270, leaning 270
Carbon, or AEBL (or 52100)
I like balance point around machi.
Doesn't need to be wa, but strong preference.
Sturdy blade, little to no flex. Reference point is DT 240 ITK.

Current thoughts:
Devin Thomas ITK 270
(Tried a 240 stainless and adored it, would need an offer.)
Gesshin Hide White No 2 Hon Kasumi 240
(Very curious about new profile and steel options, pm'd Jon)
Gesshin Hinoura Ajikataya 240 White No. 2 Wa Gyuto
(Very interested in trying Hinoura but can't afford Tsukasa)
Kochi Migaki Wa Gyuto 270
(Thick but thin behind the edge, seems like a good option.)

Anyone have any suggestions, comments, Devins for sale? :whistling: Willing to spend up to 450. Always appreciate the collective insight.

Also if you are looking to unload anything that meets the above criteria, please let me know.

Thanks!

I picked up a Kochi last week. I love it.

The V2 (mine is the Kurouchi) sharpens like white, deburrs like white, but holds its edge like blue. It's currently my favorite steel to sharpen. Sturdy, comfortable, and crazy thin where it needs to be. A little reactive at first, but very easily managed.

Got the Kochi on the list! I guess this is a long winded way of saying I'm still in lust for a DT ITK, but these others are really drawing my eye. Just hoping for the stars to align - I'm not worried about finding a good knife - these are all exciting options. I'm just trying to build a small stable that I will use (one in, one out), so being thoughtful about what would be a reasonable complement to the nimble and flexy Rodrigue.

Got the Kochi on the list! I guess this is a long winded way of saying I'm still in lust for a DT ITK, but these others are really drawing my eye. Just hoping for the stars to align - I'm not worried about finding a good knife - these are all exciting options. I'm just trying to build a small stable that I will use (one in, one out), so being thoughtful about what would be a reasonable complement to the nimble and flexy Rodrigue.

Talk to Devin... $450 and you're getting awfully close to custom price from him.

I would consider a takeda a workhorse and also a mizuno blue #2 but I know that isn't a sexy pick

Usually when i think of workhorse i think heavier knife with a thicker spine more capable for heavy duty tasks...kochi is probably going to be the next gyuto i purchase, however i wouldnt consider it or a takeda to be a workhorse. Atleast, by my own definition.
Also, if your looking at mizunos you might as well check out watanabes...their website has quite a selection of gyutos plus friendlier prices than i expected.

Talk to Devin... $450 and you're getting awfully close to custom price from him.

Last I checked, Devin was asking $3.00/mm for san mai customs, so monosteel might be a possibility.

I used the takeda for everything. I guess I think of a workhorse as something that doesn't hav to be swapped in or out depending on what your cutting. My takeda was an all around great prep knife that was a killer on veg prep never chipped. For me it was a real beater.

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) the Kochi...I owned a V2 w/ kurouchi finish and it was a spectacular knife.

i just got a dt itk 270 and that is exactly that, workhorse gyuto, cuts like a dream! and everything about it has been smoothed over to the last detail. wonderful knife.

So many glorious options. Kochi sounds like a great one. Also, a plus - it is available! Anyone own the Migaki? Sounds like most have the V2/Kurouchi. Also, how blade heavy do these tend to be from your experience? Balance point? I owe Jon a call at JKI but am still gathering info on other options.

W/R/T Devin - I know they are great. I used the 240 from Dave (WildBoar) and adored it. Still among my favorite cutting experiences. Definitely still interested in one of these, but prefer a 270, and frankly, everyone on here who has em, loves em! I PM'd Devin re: customs, and do want to go down that road, even if just to see whether I am crazy for considering. I will own a DT at some point, this much I know.

Gesshin Ajikataya 240 is sold out. Good for Jon, sad for me. Considering whether worth the try to custom order a 270. I read somewhere though that White #2 isn't ideal for a workhorse knife in that it doesn't hold edges for long and requires more frequent care. Perhaps that eliminates this one.

Geshsin Hide White #2 - same potential issue as mentioned above. Perhaps the much more expensive Ginsanko 240?

Sounds like lots of love for Takeda - need to look into that as well.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! Also - thanks so far for the offers - nothing has yet worked out, but I am open to ideas!

re: gesshin hide ginsanko
looks to be a gesshin version of tanaka ginsanko gyuto? i have a tanaka 270 and it's a fat bastard, but i suspect after some heavy blade work and a rehandle it's going to be badass. the profile is outstanding.

re: gesshin hide ginsanko
looks to be a gesshin version of tanaka ginsanko gyuto? i have a tanaka 270 and it's a fat bastard, but i suspect after some heavy blade work and a rehandle it's going to be badass. the profile is outstanding.

Very different from tanaka... Geometry, profile, grind, heat treatment, and fit and finish

What about one of the TC Blades that Son had? I just used mine (alongside a Takeda and ZKramer, for comparison purposes), and it's a tough and fun knife!

I actually considered but they were single bevels if I recall. Looking for Double Bevel. Still a newbie sharpener!

They're kinda in between, in my mind..one side is like a single, but the other has a large microbevel, for lack of a better word.

Thanks all for the suggestions, and also for all of the generous offers! A lot of nice knives floating out there in KKF land, and even more generous owners willing to offer deals. Again, thank you.

I chose the 270 Kochi V2 from JKI, along with a new Gesshin 400 stone. Figured I'd end up keeping cost below the $400 mark, and get more than just a knife. (I need to practice my sharpening!) Major deciding factors were desire for a 270, and aiming for a substantial blade that was super thin behind the edge. Also, excited about the steel, as folks clearly seem to love sharpening it. Also, I am excited to learn to sharpen a wide bevel knife - expanding my capabilities further.

For all the newbies out there, Jon and Sara consistently take the time to answer any question you have, and don't make you feel stupid for asking. Outstanding customer service, and thoughtful consideration of the customer's wants, and also abilities. Thank you both for taking the time, it makes a big difference.

PS - I put my name on the list for a custom monosteel Devin - will be awhile, but should be well worth the wait! :knife:

Kochi arrived, gorgeous knife and as always awesome packaging from JKI. Holy $#/+! Just cut an onion in half and diced and chopped and holy hell. Helps to have an edge from Jon to start. Thanks all for the reccomendations. Will be enjoying this guy.

Sorry for the crappy ipad shots - cutting board counter under window so lots of glare. Also first shot's glare isn't showing tips well - but believe me, they are there, they are intact, and they are markedly different.

Here it is next to my Pierre 240.
PxwM6sA.jpg

Love the rough kurouchi finish.
ET5lJG3.jpg

Slightly different beasts (putting it lightly)!
oXA00ej.jpg

More to come after I get to take it for more of a test drive.

Forgot to add that it is nice to see comparison pics of different knives. As some times I the numbers don't compute for me.

Back