Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any former smokers have any usefull advice?

Posted something similar to this on another cooking forum, my heart genuinely goes out to anyone trying to quit. But its a bit of different story for everyone so I hope that you take away that there are many different ways to put them down, and the only right way is what works for you. I smoked heavily for about 6-8 years, pack and half to two packs a day, more if I was drinking, which I generally was. I tried quitting five or six times using most over the counter methods, and cold turkey a few dozen times, for the time I smoked I never went more than 24 hours without a cigarette. I finally broke down and used Chantix, it worked great for me. I haven't smoked in 5 years. I had one relapse where I smoked very lightly for a brief amount of time about 3 years ago, noticed how bad they made me feel and since then haven't had one. I think that what helped me quit for good was developing the will power to say no to cravings. I walked around for a year with a couple of packs of cigarettes on me at all times, in my car and in my backpack. I think this gave me a bit of steely resolve about it. The other thing that was just as important was developing a physical exercise routine. It might sound hokey but running is like a new addiction for me now, if I don't do it I feel like **** and get more moody than I was without a cigarette, or a drink, or a bump. I guess there are ways to focus the bad into something good, and I'm much healthier all around now.

I quit 8 years ago, it was my second time, the first lasted a couple of years. This is what worked for me:

1. I really wanted to quit, I was feeling really crappy, short of breath, cough, the works, and I wasn't even in my thirties yet.
    2. Patches, they helped me a lot the first weeks
    3. Exercise, absolutely essential, gym and cycling worked for me.

Good luck!

Move to Hawaii, you won't be able to afford smokes
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

i smoked cigarettes for years, and quit cold turkey about 4 years ago. one of the better decisions i've made. i have an addictive personality, so i was quite surprised to find that it wasn't all that hard. it was much easier for me to not go buy a pack than it is, say, to not sharpen a knife that needs sharpening.

i quit almost 7 years ago after smoking for 35. yeah, i'm that old, and hard-headed. 2nd heart attack impacted me. i just threw them away and haven't lit one up since. you want to quit? just don't smoke another one.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

After I got my lung shot out I smoked off and on for a few years. The chronic bronchitis didn't help much, butt I just kept trying to not smoke so much and eventually got off tobacco all together. When my dad decided to quit he just stopped.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I've got nothing for you. I can't think of anyone in my life that's quit smoking while I knew them but if you can do it, my hat's off to you.

Me and the wife were in a meeting in January a few years ago and the teacher asked what our new years resolutions were. I thought that I was being funny when I raised my hand and told the teacher that my resolution was to not smoke, having never smoked. It embarrassed the wife and she gave me a hard elbow in the ribs.

I now know that karma is real because shortly there after I caught my left leg on fire while forging (I was smoking), and for an encore I caught my right leg on fire a couple of weeks later, both required skin graphs. After years of forging this was the only time that I caught myself on fire.

I've never smoked in the regular sense and now I'm trying not to catch myself on fire again.

Good luck.

Love and respect

Hoss

Walking the same road, and it's a long one. Smoked for 23 years, but knew that either when I became a father, turned 40 or in reality became both in the same year, that I will not be doing so as a smoker. That is my conviction And motivation, that and I've pretty much put aside the drink for now...
    Good luck man!

http://www.drnasso.com/

My wife and I quit smoking 9 years ago using this treatment. Never looked back. It's like we were never smokers to begin with.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/