Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-handling advice. How to avoid wearing out drill bits.

Re-handling advice. How to avoid wearing out drill bits.

I am attempting to re-handle a knife for a friend. I glued the handle scales on and was drilling the holes for the pins and on the second hole my drill bit broke. I am sure the reason for this is because the knife is already tempered. Is there a way to dill holes for pins without using up a lot of drill bits or is that just a price you pay for re-handling? I am using 3/32 drill bits and the steel is 1095.

I would take a torch and soften the pin area on a tang (heat it till it blued) before attempting to drill through. I would also widen the holes (drill through with a larger bit) before gluing on scales.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

This is a friends knife. Would that ruin the temper or weaken it? Thanks for helping by the way.

get a carbide bit (I think that is what they are called) they aren't too expensive $5-10 I think, and you just have to go slow and steady with lots of lubrication (that's what she said).

I was using a carbide bit. I was not going very slowly however (not that I was rushing). Thanks for the pointer.

Just go slower and you should fine. I can usually drill 10 holes or so with a carbide tipped bit in tempered steel.

Brownell's Do-Drill should help some.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1120.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    This is a friends knife. Would that ruin the temper or weaken it? Thanks for helping by the way.
    You heat the tang, not the blade. The problem with drilling hardened metal is that the drills spins too fast generating heat burning the bit. You got to reduce speed to the lowest on your press.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

A 3/32 solid carbide drill is going to be mighty brittle as well so watch it doesn't catch and snap in the hole.