Another Kramer Auction

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got an email notifying of a current Auction for a 10inch Euro Chef, Pulse mosaic Damascus, dyed big leaf maple handle.

$12,600 with 22 1/2 hours still to go.

Way too rich for me, but I have to say, I think it's the nicest kramer I've ever seen! That Pulse Mosaic Damascus is awesome!

Any guesses on final price?

3564E568-55DC-418B-8706-5D7E9C45C6E8-36084-0000165633495D27_zps16923efc.jpg
[/IMG]

Yeah. A little too busy for my tastes. The handle looks nice though

I find the dammy a bit feminine. I guess I'll save my $42750 :D

:what: That reminds me of the lace doilies on my grandmother's table. :yuck:

Not a fan myself, so I'm guessing that saves me ~$36,500. :biggrin:

Screenshot_2013-04-22-22-38-25-1_zps382294be.png

up to 18k now. not really my style, but I'm extremely impressed with the pattern and what talent went into it...

That is a very difficult pattern to produce. Nicely done Bob K.

Hoss

I believe that the pattern is developed similar to the pattern demonstrated by Mick Maxen on British Blades. Very impressive/ difficult pattern to pull off and IMO Bob pulled it off very well. In addition to just making the pattern once as in the tutorial, the pattern has to be brought from the end of the bar into the repeating pattern on the blade, no easy task.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?46899-Step-by-step-mosaic

I wonder how much understanding of any of this goes into consideration among the people that are bidding on this? As impressive a master smith Kramer is, I can't help but think that the main selling point for his knives is their selling price. (which I'll guess to be $36,000)

Thanks for the link JMJ! Very impressive stuff.

Now at $30,200. Good for Bob!

Reminds me of the old John Lennon quote "Okay! Today let's write a swimming pool." I wonder whether Bob says to himself "Okay! Today I'll forge a new kitchen."

Sold for $32,100. If you gotta have it, you gotta have it.

How much do his regular custom made knives go for? I've head $4000 or so. If I had that much lying around I'd go for an antique nihonto. :)

One other question, not trying to derail the thread, but what makes his knives so special that they can demand such a high dollar price? The other custom makers (Marko, Pierre, etc.) from what I/'v read make great knives for substantially less. How much does a Devin Thomas custom go for?

At those prices, they're being bought like (functional) pieces of art. You can't correlate the price to any measure of utility as a cutting tool. The short explanation is that there were at least two people willing to pay more than $30K for it. They would rather have the knife than the money (of which I'm sure they have a lot). Simple as that!

Incredible.

The pattern on this one may well be incredibly difficult to produce, but I'd rather have Devin's feather pattern any day of the week.

I totally agree. Technically, it may be wonderful, but as I said before, aesthetically it does nothing for me. :goodpost:

Back