Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nakiri? Shig vs. Watanabe vs Kato

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    Maxim, if you have time...I love to hear your thought about shig vs. kato Nakiris! I think you are the only kkf member who able handle/play both Nakiris side-by-side.....
    I too would love to see a head to head with the two Nakiris mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a shig vs kato war, but I've owned a few shigs and gotten to play with a Kato 270 gyuto. My shig Kitaeji was on a different level than the kato. Grinds, thickness bte, and cutting performance where not even comparable on all but a few items. I understand that not all shigs or katos are created equal and there are probably a few that make it out of the shop that arnt up to standard, but IMO the shig is a more nuanced design and polished (literally and figuratively) finished product. If you like white and blue hitachi steels then the shig steel will feel related and familiar, but not the same. It's hard, and has OK edge retention: better than white but not as good as blue super or a tool steel.
    The Kato has one of the weirdest feeling steels I've ever sharpened. It feels VERY hard and very wear resistant. It was tricky to sharpen, but not impossible. However, it was the first steel that I've sharpened in a long time that I failed to get a "why would you ever need it to be this sharp?" edge on it. It would easily push cut paper, slice paper towel and passed "functional" sharpness standards no problem, but I couldn't shave with it and touching the edge with my fingers was pretty unimpressive not scary. I dont want to over state my own skill, but this was the first knife out of dozens that posed such a sharpening challenge to me.
    And that pretty much sums why I like this knife apart from how mine performs

What I mean, is that imho the maker really shites on what you like,

You dont get it your way, if you want that, go to Burger King.

Its brittle and thats the way it is. Its brutal and thats the way it is.
    This knife is not made to massage your ego but to challenge you. Isnt that all the fun theer is about a knife??

Same with steel, it is very hard and you have to adjust to the fact because the maker - I am solemnly hoping - will never do.

One of the sharpest wildest craziest edges Ive got, ever. Its not only about the way it feels to the touch, its about how eagerly it cuts.
    I thought you could compare Masamotos edge to it, but after some recent sharpening, that holds no truth. I dont really know what to compare it to?

Makes me really really want another one!

Sorry Bienek, sir. Are you making reference to the Kato knife or the Shigefusa in your post?

Quote Originally Posted by bieniek View Post
    And that pretty much sums why I like this knife apart from how mine performs

What I mean, is that imho the maker really shites on what you like,

You dont get it your way, if you want that, go to Burger King.

Its brittle and thats the way it is. Its brutal and thats the way it is.
    This knife is not made to massage your ego but to challenge you. Isnt that all the fun theer is about a knife??

Same with steel, it is very hard and you have to adjust to the fact because the maker - I am solemnly hoping - will never do.

One of the sharpest wildest craziest edges Ive got, ever. Its not only about the way it feels to the touch, its about how eagerly it cuts.
    I thought you could compare Masamotos edge to it, but after some recent sharpening, that holds no truth. I dont really know what to compare it to?

Makes me really really want another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy G View Post
    Sorry Bienek, sir. Are you making reference to the Kato knife or the Shigefusa in your post?
    I was gonna ask the same question, LOL. He's talking about the Kato (I think).
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Hah when I come to think about it I think it applies to both but yeah I talked about Kato.

Hah when I come to think about it I think it applies to both but yeah I talked about Kato.
    So you like the Kato Nakari then and the blade steel?

Yes.

But I'm quite sure not everyone does like these.

Yes.

But I'm quite sure not everyone does like these.
    Just the people who've tried them...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Well i think that it is 2 very very different knives, even so they wight exactly the same Kato feel somehow more mighty when Shig is more delicate.
    Shig FF is of coarse the best and very hard to beat by any makers. Katos steel is much harder and thats why it feels more stiffer. But Shig have taper that i like most.
    Kato take better edge and hold it longer. But shig is easier to thin and sharpens quicker.

They both cut amazingly ! So its very hard to say witch is best even for me. If i should choose one i will choose both

thanks, Maxim. nice comment!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!