Quantcast
New Kitchen. Which Range? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Kitchen. Which Range?

I would not have guessed Electrolux as being a good induction top and oven. But hey if Kelly Ripa endorses the brand it has to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Got an Electrolux, which is phenomenal. High heat is as good or better than gas, low is perfect for stocks and more than enough digital increments. It has a "perfect turkey" oven setting that cooked it about as good mine, which took me years of trial and error. Lots of bells and whistles that are actually useful.

Consumer Reports loves induction but gave the Electrolux a 73 because of the small oven (it has a second drawer oven at the bottom). IIRC, GE, Kenmore and Sanyo all got scores in the 90's. I think Electrolux make the Kenmore range.

The thing that drives me nuts about most consumer stuff is the way they spread out the high capacity burners. I understand their reluctance to put full-size burners at every location, given the supply lines, hood capacity, backsplash, etc., of most home installations. But seriously: couldn't they just give me two big burners placed in such a way that I can use them both at the same time? I don't think I'm particularly rare in wanting one big pasta pot going while I've got something on a high heat front burner. I may be slightly unusual in that my main saute pan is a large saucier (wok-sized), which needs a little extra elbow room, but I don't think that's too much to ask. Too many ranges and cooktops put the two biggest burners next to one another -- or worse, put the big one right in the middle of the cooktop, so that a big pot clogs up the entire stove.

Grrr.

I have often wondered about the ergonomics of tops as well. MKMK you make some valid points.

I was just looking at Bluestar, based on some comments above. Their cooktop makes a lot more sense to me:

http://www.bluestarcooking.com/produ...oktops-details

I'd really prefer a rangetop, but need a drop-in because I don't want to mess with the lines of a very cool mid-century modern kitchen. Looks like they have some nice options in both free-standing and rangetops.

Ahem -- sorry to hijack! Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Hijack away! Got the response back on our offer... Let's just say this is one kitchen that I'll not have to re-do! Still though, even if the house we DO end up with doesn't NEED a new range... I mean, it can't HURT to get one anyway, right?

Thanks for all the info guys! It will come in handy eventually, just not right now, it turns out

Aw, dang.

I know how hard it is to be in limbo like that, and to start mapping out a new home. This must not have been the one.

;- (

There's a lot of cooking wisdom in here, and it's nice to hear a range of perspectives about, er, ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
    I was just looking at Bluestar, based on some comments above. Their cooktop makes a lot more sense to me
    The 22k BTU burners rock!

How do they do at lower temps? I don't expect them to go as low as the simmer burners, but can you manage smaller pots at lower settings on them?

On the range, the round center portion of the 2-piece cooktop grates can be installed in three different positions, raising the pot/ pan higher above the flame. Before I, uhm, discovered this feature, I used to stack a couple grates to raise up the pot/ pan. It is a very simple feature to use; I can lift/ rotate the center portion with tongs when the grate is hot. Only takes a couple seconds. I don't know if the cooktop grates are a similar design or not.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    I can lift/ rotate the center portion with tongs when the grate is hot.
    That's a brilliant friggin' idea! Well even if we don't have to remodel something right away, I think I'm heading down to the Bluestar showroom nearby anyway. Can't hurt to be prepared, right?

Thanks again guys!

+ Reply to Thread