Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kitchen. Which Range?

New Kitchen. Which Range?

We are preparing to make an offer on our first house. It's a very nice house, but the kitchen is really bad. No counter space, horrible layout crappy cooktop, crappier wall oven.

SO! Provided our offer is accepted, we're going to need to get some new equipment. I know a few guys here really like the Bluestars, but honestly, unless I can find a floor model, they might be a bit more expensive than I'd feel comfortable with. (Remember, we would have just coughed up a down payment.)

Are there any "bang for the buck" models out there you guys can recommend? I'm looking at all gas, and 36" free standing. There are some good deals on Bertazzoni's, and I've read some good writeups on them... Don't know much about Veronas nor AGAs... Any suggestions for an ~ $4K kick-ass range?

Bluestar is usually priced a bit less then most of the others. I think AGa is big $$$.

I think the vendor I used was Eurostoves; they shipped from the New England area. Of course you could always drive to Reading, PA and pick it up at the factory, too (and visit Dave M).

I went through this a few years ago and got really good consumer "pro kitchen" cooktop/wall ovens. If I had it to do over, I'd 100% buy my EQ from the restaurant supply store: gas cooktop, electric ovens. Ugly as hell, but awesome performance.

Oh, and I'd have gotten a better hood too....mine is too small and is only 1500CFM.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Engorged Member
    I like craigslist for used stuff. Most of the ranges I ended up looking at were Vikings,DCS, Jade and Wolfs. I bought a 6 year Viking that had hardly been used (maybe 20 times) and the oven never used. While still significant, it was 1/3 the cost of a new one.
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

the only first hand experience I've had is with Wolf, got this 6 burner "challenger" back in 1990, paired it up with a VentAHood dual fan Island
    model. have never regretted the decision.

Viking, Wolf, or if it's a pure value/budget purchase, the basic GE gas ranges are unbeatable. You could always go with La Cornue....

I should add, without slandering a well respected company, I've been to a few carbon monoxide calls that were linked to a certain brand that I didn't recommend for that reason
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I would not recommend a DCS (I have one). They were really a good bargain a while back; now, not so much.

While I was refrigerator/washer/dryer shopping last year, I took a look at a number of newer models while I was looking around and the ones that impressed me the most were GE Monogram; they had the best starter design, burner, grate and oven features of all of the models I looked at, including Viking, Wolf, DCS, etc. Unfortunately, they're not cheap. But, I would take a look at them to see if there are any deals or floor models out there.

Commercial ranges are inexpensive compared to commercial-style home models. Just know that they don't have as much insulation as home models so they tend to run hotter (a really strong range hood is absolutely necessary in such a case) and using a commercial range at home may void the warranty. But, I'm sure you could find a new one for sub 4k easy.

Oh. One last thing. I would not skimp on your range hood. CFMs are important, but I think it's more important to buy one that has baffles that are easy to remove and easy to clean, and where you can easily access and clean the grease reservoirs.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

A friend builds luxury condos and after years of complaints about Viking ranges he switched to Wolfe, but I'm not sure about the price. Most of the people I know with super high-end ranges say they have lots of problems. I've heard good things about Capital Culinarian, though.

We went induction even though it meant replacing 75% of our cookware. IMO, it's better than gas, but I don't know who makes a 36" induction range.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I would not skimp on your range hood. CFMs are important, but I think it's more important to buy one that has baffles that are easy to remove and easy to clean, and where you can easily access and clean the grease reservoirs.

Ideally, you could toss them in the dishwasher 1-2X/Month.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Great ideas all! Thank you! We just put the offer in, so we'll have to see how it goes. If it's accepted, I'll have a good long time to scout ebay or find a floor model around.

Because part of the reason for the kitchen is also to increase the re-sale value of the home (it's likely that we would be moving within the decade, potentially half-decade) I'm not sure a commercial range would fly. Between that, the voided warranty, and the extra insurance most property insurers would require...

And great point about the hood. The kitchen already has one, but I have no idea how powerful it is...

Yeah, I've heard from a lot of places that DCS isn't the value it once was. I got a PM about NXR being a fairly good "budget" choice. And very good tip about just visiting Dave and Bluestar directly!

I don't suppose anybody on the forum has a Bertazonni at home? I hear they're a nice range, but the oven is finicky (and only starts at 275 degrees) and that they vent a lot of heat into the kitchen.