Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kikuichi Elite Sujihiki Question From a Lefty

Quote Originally Posted by DitmasPork View Post
    It's a knife that I would be using for mainly fish, primarily sashimi, and cubing tuna for 'Poke' [Hawaiian raw fish salad]—I'm originally from Hawaii.

Are there a lot of other recommended carbon sujis in the quality/price range as the Kikuichi Elite that don't have as much as a right-hand bias?
    Long time ago I used Masamoto carbon Sugi for sashimi,till I got my first quality Yanagiba,which started my lust for Japan Single Bevels.

Masahiro is a quality knife, we try not to suggest $200 junk to people, even lefties

How about a Misono Dragon? Special order one ground full lefty for 15% premium, would be about 250 to your door.
    http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Sw...ml#SwedenSteel

It would seem you can special order a full lefty Fujiwara FKH as well, that should be around $100.
    http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html#FKH
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Are you sure these JCKs aren't the usual blades with just a more neutral edge by JCK's sharpener?
    That would make a lot of difference with a special order lefty, with a convex left face and a flat right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Are you sure these JCKs aren't the usual blades with just a more neutral edge by JCK's sharpener?
    That would make a lot of difference with a special order lefty, with a convex left face and a flat right one.
    Yes I'm sure, hence my wording. Ground lefty, not bevel-adjusted. Special order of course.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Yes I'm sure, hence my wording. Ground lefty, not bevel-adjusted. Special order of course.
    Thanks for clarifying, Wenus2.

I knew I read it somewhere, just couldn't find it at last post.
    This should provide some confidence:
    http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/In...eftHander.html

I've had great experiences with masa hires and as a fellow 808 er I suggest a konosuke suji. Just remember if u are comfortable with Sufis they are well rounded knives which u can use not only for slicing. Fujiwara suji are great and cheap. I liked my Fujiwara more than my kikuichi suji

Had a kikuichi elite 270 suji and used it for fish, cubing for poke/tartar etc does the job, but a kono suji...yummy

Mine was very right hand biased in grind. Not good for lefties.

JCK offers lefty versions of many of the lines they carry. I'm pretty sure you could find something you like there under $200 that you might like. Carbonext, Hiromoto, or something similar in price.

For a little extra cash, I'd recommend the Hiromoto suji. Mine was damn near completely 50/50 when I got it, and the AS really is outstanding for slicing IMO. Whether a crusty roast, or a raw pork loin, the steel just bites and slices really well.