Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kikuichi Elite Sujihiki Question From a Lefty

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    For a little extra cash, I'd recommend the Hiromoto suji. Mine was damn near completely 50/50 when I got it, and the AS really is outstanding for slicing IMO. Whether a crusty roast, or a raw pork loin, the steel just bites and slices really well.
    Sujihikis are no longer showing at all on the JCK website Hiromoto AS page...

Odd, as normally you see "SOLD OUT" but they are just GONE.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    Sujihikis are no longer showing at all on the JCK website Hiromoto AS page...

Odd, as normally you see "SOLD OUT" but they are just GONE.
    IIRC, they are no longer in production, just like the wa-handled gyuto and sujihiki, thus there is no reason to list a knife that will never be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    IIRC, they are no longer in production
    The sujihikis, or the entire range?

The sujihikis, or the entire range?
    Sorry I wasn't clear. The sujihikis, AFAIK.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The sujihikis, AFAIK.
    Bummer. It was only a few days ago last time I saw them up at JCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefdog View Post
    Bummer. It was only a few days ago last time I saw them up at JCK.

Yeah I hear that. I am considering buying a sujihiki and am sure they were up last week.... Was leaning towards an AS!

This just in from Koki:-

Thank you very much for your new inquiry and interest.

We apologize for the availability of Hiromoto Aogami Super TJ-90AS Sujihiki 270mm.

Maker Hiromoto used to make Sujihiki knives in Aogami Super Series. But they already discontinued the Sujihiki items and Sujihiki items got completely sold out and out of stock before.

Mr. Nagao (President of Hiromoto company) is 75 years old. He is going to get retired in near future. Maker Hiromoto is already discontinuing some models (such as TJ-50AS Petty 120mm, TJ-40AS Santoku160mm. Once current inventory of TJ-50AS will be out of stock, this item will be completely discontinued. TJ-40AS Santoku 160mm already got completely out of stock.

We apologize again for the availability and situation of Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki knives.

If you are looking for good carbon steel blade of Sujihiki knife, we can also recommend below items.

KAGAYAKI CarboNext Sujihiki knives at http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYA...arboNextSeries

Misono Sweden Steel Series Sujihiki knives at http://japanesechefsknife.com/Sweden...ml#SwedenSteel

We hope you will find your favorite one and when you will have any questions, please let us know and help.

Thank you very much again for your new inquiry and interest.

Best Regards

Koki Iwahara
    JapaneseChefsKnife.Com

Yeah I hear that. I am considering buying a sujihiki and am sure they were up last week.... Was leaning towards an AS!

This just in from Koki:-

Thank you very much for your new inquiry and interest.

We apologize for the availability of Hiromoto Aogami Super TJ-90AS Sujihiki 270mm.

Maker Hiromoto used to make Sujihiki knives in Aogami Super Series. But they already discontinued the Sujihiki items and Sujihiki items got completely sold out and out of stock before.

Mr. Nagao (President of Hiromoto company) is 75 years old. He is going to get retired in near future. Maker Hiromoto is already discontinuing some models (such as TJ-50AS Petty 120mm, TJ-40AS Santoku160mm. Once current inventory of TJ-50AS will be out of stock, this item will be completely discontinued. TJ-40AS Santoku 160mm already got completely out of stock.

We apologize again for the availability and situation of Hiromoto Aogami Super Sujihiki knives.

If you are looking for good carbon steel blade of Sujihiki knife, we can also recommend below items.

KAGAYAKI CarboNext Sujihiki knives at http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYA...arboNextSeries

Misono Sweden Steel Series Sujihiki knives at http://japanesechefsknife.com/Sweden...ml#SwedenSteel

We hope you will find your favorite one and when you will have any questions, please let us know and help.

Thank you very much again for your new inquiry and interest.

Best Regards

Koki Iwahara
    JapaneseChefsKnife.Com
    Okay, so it's the entire range. Get 'em while you can, I guess.

Sounds like they are still making the gyutos.... But the 120 petty is definitely on teh way out
    Okay, so it's the entire range. Get 'em while you can, I guess.

Sorry for the delayed response, traveled to Georgia for business—and getting my fill of shrimp n grits. Lots of good info posted about sujis for this here lefty to ponder. During my time away from the computer I noticed that a Masamoto HC suji was up on B/S/T, looked like a good price on that one. At this point I'm kind of leaning towards the lefty Masahiro—despite the lefty premium on it.
    Also, too bad about the Hiro AS being discontinued—such a cool looking blade.

After much hemming and hawing I decided to get the lefty Masahiro 270 carbon sujihiki—which arrived a couple of days ago. I've not had a chance to put it to good use, but really like the feel of it. It's a tad heavier [not a problem] than I expected, very solid. Dying to buy a chunk of tuna! Cheers to all of the advice from all of you. I've attempted to attach a photo—hope this works.