Quantcast
Kikuichi Elite Sujihiki Question From a Lefty - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kikuichi Elite Sujihiki Question From a Lefty

Sweet! Please report back with how you like it.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by DitmasPork View Post
    After much hemming and hawing I decided to get the lefty Masahiro 270 carbon sujihiki—which arrived a couple of days ago. I've not had a chance to put it to good use, but really like the feel of it. It's a tad heavier [not a problem] than I expected, very solid. Dying to buy a chunk of tuna! Cheers to all of the advice from all of you. I've attempted to attach a photo—hope this works.

Sweet. I really dig the steel in the masa virgin carbon line. Reminds me a lot of the steel in the misono Swedish line. Id be willing to bet that most of the weightiness that you're feeling is in the handle. Masahiro VC knives have a quite substancial handle which I love.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

heavy handled sujis rule. nice looking knife. we dont hear enough about masahiro around here.

It is really a fantastic knife. Not very reactive at all, takes a wicked edge and holds it pretty damn well. The gyutos have the masamoto profile but are a bit thinner. They are a no frills workhorse of a knife with the biggest western handles that I've encountered. If you have larger hands and want a good bang for the buck carbon knife I would recommend a masahiro VC hands down.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

I recall my Kikuichi Elite suji handle feeling rather small....

Nice knife!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Very happy with it, f&f good, and yes handle heavy [k-fed]. Dig the substantial feel/weight of the knife—I do have another older sujihiki that is Molybdenum, very light, a little too much so for my taste. My stainless one was fine, but there is something magic about carbon for me. I don't have particularly large hands, but the somewhat large and squarish handles are not a problem for me. I do dream about someday getting high end American made knives [Devin, Marko, Carter, etc.]—but for now they are out of my price range. My Masahiro is a great for now—will likely post some pics of my knife in action!

How about the balance with the Masahiros? Still in front of the bolster despite of the large handle, I hope?

how do all of these suji's compare, like what sets them apart from each other? kikuichi elite, carbonext, misono swedish, masamoto vc, etc? i'm probably going to go with the hiromoto g3 210 to use as a line knife (as its really one of only a few choices at that short length), but would be good knowledge to have the comparisons for if i ever do decide to get a 270 suji.

Glad to hear the new suji is working out for you. Masahiro is definitely a sleeper, but shouldn't be overlooked.

+ Reply to Thread