Asai Damascus PM 210 Gyuto, Gesshin Ginga & Uraku pics

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keegan

Reaction score
Latest knife, last one for now (the initial binge).

Here is the final piece in my transition from a set of wustofs we got for our wedding 5 years ago. Sold the set and went Japanese. This is an Asai 210mm Gyuto. Epicurean Edge in Seattle sold it to me, and this is their description: "Deeply etched stainless nickel Damascus san mai with SG2 powdered metallurgical stainless steel, Rc 64-65"

I saw it in person and fell in love with the deep etching in the damascus. I have never seen anything like this. It looks and feels like a topographic map. Just so cool. Also, Mr. Asai apparently has terminal cancer, so I opted to jump and get one while I could.

The people at Epicurean Edge were friendly and helpful, yet didn't seem to have the depth of knowledge and overwhelming generosity with their time of Jon at Japanese Knife Imports, where I got my other two nice knives.

The fit and finish on this Asai are top notch. It feels like extreme care has been taken at every step. As opposed to something like a Teruyasu Fujiwara, that feels quite "rough around the edges." (That's not necessarily bad, just different--a Fujiwara 210 Guyto with finger rest is top on my wish list--but its a different aesthetic for sure.)

The geometry is good, although I do prefer the shape of the Gesshin Ginga 240 (white carbon) also seen in the photos. That knife is perfect for my taste in terms of geometry and proportions--slightly tapered handle, nice and thick where the tang goes into the handle, awesome shape and excellent fit and finish (not to mention its really thin, light in the hand and holds a killer edge!). Really gorgeous. The 150 petty pictured is a Gesshin Uraku (this cheaper line is not as nice in terms of fit and finish as the Gesshin Gingas, but has same nice proportions--worth it to step up to Gesshin Ginga). Both of these Gesshin knives are from Japanese Knife Imports, if you're not familiar.

Anyway, this new Asai knife fits between the cheap 180 (mostly my wife's knife) and awesome carbon 240 (she doesn't get to touch that one) I already have, and I can tell it may end up my most used knife. The 210 size seems perfect for what I do. Alright, now I'll shut up. Enjoy the photos!

keegan

oh, and credit for knife bar: https://vimeo.com/59948097
And the board is from Dave "TheBoard" Smith, walnut

130423_0003.jpg

130423_0009.jpg

130423_0012.jpg

130423_0014.jpg

130423_0018.jpg

130423_0025.jpg

Nice setup.

I too have heard lots of good stuff about JKI's customer service. Now that the local Japan Woodworker is gone, I may have to travel a little farther to play with knives.

Very nice -- I've been thinking about one of these as a gift.

So sorry to hear about Mr. Asai, though.

;(

Looks good is that the Togiharu Santoku?Most wives would be happy wt. that.Like that carbon meat blade too.

Before you know it you will be wishing that 210mm Asai was a 240mm. Also, thoughts and prayers for Mr. Asai and his family.

Looks good is that the Togiharu Santoku?Most wives would be happy wt. that.Like that carbon meat blade too.

It was called a Yoshihiro and I got it on Amazon for about $100. The meat blade I got at a flea market for a couple bucks and did some restoration on.

Very Impressive start Keegan. You've made some nice buys. Congrats!

toghiharu, sakai takayuki and yoshihiro rebrands those line of knives.

I find that Yoshihiro very prone to chipping (I mean, the wife is not exactly careful with it, but apparently the steel is brittle), I wouldnt recommend it. The Gesshin Gingas are my go to blades. I'm going to sell the Asai Damascus and get another White #2 Ginga 180mm to go with the 240mm. The White #2 takes a killer edge and keeps it, is super thin and light and nimble. Consequently, I never end up using the Asai.

you guys are building me up too much here... now i'm going to get a ton of e-mails asking why i take so long to respond

:scared2:

Back