Thread: Newb needs help in identifying a Japanese (?) 2 cleaver

Newb needs help in identifying a Japanese (?) 2 cleaver

Greetings!

I came across this forum while doing research on a Japanese (?) cleaver. This cleaver - if that is the right name for it - has a blade about 8" long and wooden handle about 3.5" long. It is stamped on the blade with Japanese characters, a small picture, and the number "2."

It appears to be quite old, per my uneducated eyes, but is still quite sharp.

I have several pictures to show. However, I am having trouble uploading them using the "insert image" button up top (it seems to take only a url.

Once I figure out how to post the photos, any help on age, maker and possible value would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies!
    Last edited by atanorthwest; 04-24-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Spelling error

the easiest way to post pics is to use an image hosting site such as photobucket and link the image where you were trying before
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

That one is easy. Three rams brand chinese made. They are fairly common on ebay.

the stamped on the blade is too blur.... I can only identify top character"利 " & possible characters "佛"? , "山"?.....from blade profile , handle's style & stampe style, I think it is Chinese cleaver made in China or Hong Kong.
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Andy's got it.

Here is another version of the label.
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/700591/

I have nothing on three rams other then they are from the Foshan area of Goungdong China, Wondering if any one else has info ?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHL View Post
    Andy's got it.

Here is another version of the label.
    http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/700591/

I have nothing on three rams other then they are from the Foshan area of Goungdong China, Wondering if any one else has info ?
    thanks for the link;so, I able identify the stamped on the blade said "佛山鋼刀" which is mean "Foshan city steel knife"... I did quick google and find the company recycle second hand/old knife steel and import steel blank from German & Taiwan to making their own brand Chinese cleaver.....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Appreciate the quick replies!
    About how old is the item?

I haven't seen Three Rams (sometimes called three sheep) cleavers for a number of years but back in the 90's I bought a couple in the Portland Oregon China town (mostly gone now) for $2.50 each. Pretty reasonable even then.