• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Yanagi, cheap. Ugly? No problem.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for a 300mm Yanagi.

New job involves cutting a ton of fish. Mostly Ahi, Halibut, Sea Bass and Salmon. Admittedly, I have almost no experience with single bevels and don't really know what's out there. Heavy menu development mode means no time for researching knives so I hope you guys can help me out here. Funds are very limited (thanks taxman) and performance is far more important than aesthetics for this tool. Cracked handles, scratches, etc are welcomed if it makes a great cutter more affordable. I am wide open to ideas here.

Trying to keep this as much under $200 as possible.

I bought a yamawaku on ebay that I'm happy with (first yanagi). 270 was under $100, but the turnaround time was a ***** if you're in a hurry. hefty knife, surprisingly good fit and finish, strange shape somewhat (flat for most of the blade with a gentle curve at the tip rather than a more agressive looking profile), fun to sharpen, and a good cutter. Handle is nice (plastic ferrule though) but a tad on the small side. I'd buy one again for sure.

oops 300 would be a special order which would take ages i'd imagine. gl, the selection dwindles and the cost spikes past 270

I have a Tojiro shirogami 300 yanagi I can part with. It has a nice rehandle too. PM if interested and I'll try to get you some pics tonight. My iMac is down atm so I'm having to learn to use my so called "smart phone" :lol2:

Chuckles, Good timing. I've got a 300 Hontan Seikon Dojo Professional Right-Handed Sashimi Hocho from EE . Its never been sharpened only stropped. Used maybe a dozen times. Since he has passed away, this knife will never be made again. Least thats what Daniel said. EE only has the 240 and 330 in stock.

I also have a saya for it. Looking for $350 shipped.

Chuckles, Good timing. I've got a 300 Hontan Seikon Dojo Professional Right-Handed Sashimi Hocho from EE . Its never been sharpened only stropped. Used maybe a dozen times. Since he has passed away, this knife will never be made again. Least thats what Daniel said. EE only has the 240 and 330 in stock.

I have the same knife. The blue steel cuts well!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SAKAI-Carbon-Steel-Yanagiba-Knife-300mm-Akebono-w-Saya-/230937933348?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c4f93624

I assume this is a generic carbon steel since it doesnt specify..the next link is white steel for just a bit more..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-SAKAI-White-Steel-Yanagiba-Sashimi-Knife-300mm-/230846235779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf820483

I have no experience with either of these, maybe some others can chime in if they do. But I recalled the low price and its the first thing that came to mind reading your post. Best of luck.

Blueway has some mega cheap yanagiba beaters $100-200....whoops, im refering to the ones jared08. But there's also sakai ichimonjis at blueway, they shouldn't be too bad im guessing

Call Jon at JKI. He's got so less expensive knives in that were right around your budget.

Back