Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question for Larrin - Casting a Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Larrin View Post
    Since my name is on the thread I'll just say I have nothing to say.
    Why not? I value your input.

-AJ

All of the examples I know of were already brought up, and I know little about casting.

Gotcha. Thanks!

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Thanks TB, that helped a lot. I was able to find this:
    http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php?...ng-the-Serrata

It's a different approach than what I was envisioning but pretty slick. He's getting a much better yield than I would have thought. Very interesting.

-AJ
    Ah I was digging around for that thread but couldn't find it as was on a different forum. A metallurgist over here put some samples from one under a Scanning Micrograph but the images seem to be dead now plus it's written in badger speak

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...rial-Continues

David Boyes blades was and is indeed cast.

As I mentioned in my first newbie post I made knives and also sold knifemaking materials to other knifemakers here in northern Europe. Then I also imported and sold the David Boye folding knives with cast blades and also his line of cast blades for knifemakers and among them there was his cast 440C blades. I still have three of the blades in my stash from the 90:s, se image. There one can see the traces from the casting process. The cut off channels for the steel to flow through, the tang with the Boye name and the casted overall finish.

I sold a bunch of blades to knifemaking customers, but I don't know if they turned into finished knives. I also made two finished knives (one with the 175mm blade and one with the 210 mm blade) that I sold to two chefs in Stockholm. I also got a few requests from other chefs for knives, but then I had quit my knifemaking.

Apart for the chefs blades I have also included one images on a David Boye made folder and one on a skinner that I made made with a blade from David Boye. They are from the 90s and I still have them around.

One thread I'm glad was resurrected. Those cast blades look mighty interesting.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter